Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

calibrating?

Posted by Mark Evans 
calibrating?
August 02, 2014 12:33PM
Just a question for the future as I am in full user/learner mode now not developer mode.

Is there a way to calibrate how far the axis move to so many pulses? This way when I build the bighandi or what ever and it uses a slightly different drive setup it can still work right? Hidden in the ini file perhaps?
Re: calibrating?
August 03, 2014 07:30PM
Hi Mark,

Yes ... absolutely. In OpenSBP code, that number is called the "Unit Value" and is set with the [VU] Command. For a Handibot it is 4000, meaning there are 4000 steps per inch. There will be several different ways to set it in the new FabMo system.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
August 03, 2014 09:01PM
That is great. I just failed to find it looking through the commands. That pretty well guarantees that if I build a gantry machine it will have Handibot guts as well as other parts.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mark,
>
> Yes ... absolutely. In OpenSBP code, that number
> is called the "Unit Value" and is set with the
> [VU] Command. For a Handibot it is 4000, meaning
> there are 4000 steps per inch. There will be
> several different ways to set it in the new FabMo
> system.
>
> Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
December 02, 2016 09:47AM
Deleted by OP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 04:23PM by gclayton.
December 02, 2016 10:52AM
Deleted by OP.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 04:22PM by gclayton.
May 21, 2017 03:29PM
Hi Ted,

I carved a mm ruler with my Handibot into 6x8" acrylic sheet. It looks great. I carved one in the vertical direction with lines every mm, and one in the horizontal direction.
For the Y, it is bang on the whole 8" or 210mm.
But for the X, it is off (compared to several metal rules I have) by about 0.5mm by the time it gets to 140mm from the origin. ~0.4% error. Not acceptable if you are making rulers that you would like to be useful.

I think this may explain some artefacts I always get when I do tiling.
Is there a way I can adjust the "steps per inch" (or per mm or cm) in Fabmo?
Or otherwise calibrate X travel?
I assume the VU command you mentioned is in the G-code. Or is there some other way to invoke it and save that result so that the
Handibot always moves in X the number of mm I command it to move?

Thanks,
Steve
July 01, 2020 07:34AM
that quantity is referred to as the "Unit Value" and is set with the [VU] Command. For a Handibot it is 4000, that means there are 4000 steps per inch. There will be a number of distinct approaches to set it in the new FabMo system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.