Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Handibot 1.0 -> 1.1

Posted by moretoyswins 
Handibot 1.0 -> 1.1
April 04, 2015 08:08PM
With 1.1 edition now in production, it is great to see the 1.1 faceplate upgrade available as an option on the Handibot Store. But the 1.1 faceplate is not the only improvement. Is there a planned kit to bring the 1.0 editions up to 1.1 capabilities or will it be piecemeal upgrades? I appreciate there is only so far we can go to keep the 1.0 editions current but certainly we have not hit that wall already.

Thanks in advance,

M
Re: Handibot 1.0 -> 1.1
April 06, 2015 05:02PM
We'd definitely like to offer all of the upgrades as kits for users of 1.0 Handibots. The faceplate is the easiest to install, followed by the backing plates (which will be coming up next once we've got a solid document for how to perform the mod). The limit switches are the trickiest as they require 4 new aluminum parts (to add pockets for the magnets and switches); users will also need to drill holes in some of the blue plastic parts of the Handibot exoframe based on dimensioned drawings. Finally there's the challenge of routing the wires correctly and putting the control box back together. It's definitely not impossible but it may be a real DIY kind of upgrade. We'll try to tackle that one once we've got the backing plates up in the store. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress as we work on these options.
June 23, 2015 11:56AM
I bought the new base plate and installed it, and then found that the limit switches no longer work. I may be significantly out of date. How do I get the limit switches to work again?
June 23, 2015 03:05PM
John,

The base plate upgrade should not have affected the limit switches. To get an idea of what might be happening; try triggering each switch manually by depressing the small black trigger on each switch. Inputs should light up on your shopbot control panel when each switch is pressed. If any of those switches are missing that button (possibly damaged during the mod) let me know and we can get another one sent out. If the buttons are there and just not working, then I would suspect a loose wire. This can be inspected by opening the electronics enclosure and checking that the input wires are secured in the terminal block on the bottom right side of the driver card. If necessary follow these instructions for getting access to your electronics: [shopbot.dozuki.com] You'll also see the proper wiring for the limit switches in the last step of that guide. Let me know how it goes and I can provide more detail for you!

Brian
June 23, 2015 03:56PM
Brian,

I am fairly certain that when I switched the base plate, the limit switch zero in the x axis no longer makes contact to trigger the switch, Perhaps I made some error during the installation . I bought the Indexing Jig, and got the base plate kit with it, since I have one of the early kickstarter models. I am away from home at the moment, and had it on my list to at least see if there was a know problem with the change over. I will go back and look at the installation again once I get home. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the reply.
June 29, 2015 04:43PM
Back at home and reinstalled the anti backlash support. All is well. I had installed the connection to the base plate 180 degrees out of position. I just ran the x and y zero routine, and all worked as it should.
July 01, 2015 08:43AM
Glad to hear it! This reminds me, as I'm sitting here making revisions to the handibot 2.0 design, that I should try to use asymmetric hole patterns wherever possible so that there are less chances for mistakes in assembly/disassembly.

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.