Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

mysterious gouge

Posted by deagan492 
mysterious gouge
April 10, 2015 10:34PM
Been happily handibotting along, but I've hit a weird glitch that's baffling me.

I have a vcarve pro file that is a trace of a bitmap. The toolpath is using the 90 degree V cutter set to do a single outline engrave pass at .0125". I attempted this on some acrylic and everything looked great until about a third of the way through. All of a sudden, the bit dug in about .25" to the material (in this case, through the acrylic and into my spoil board.)

I looked at the spb file in notepad++ and in the SbEdit tool and all the Z axis moves were set to the proper heights.

I recalculated the toolpath file, verified it looked good in Notepad++, and ran it with the 90 degree V cutter on some pine. At the same place in the tool path, the problem occurred again.

In both cases, the animation of the toolpath looked great.

Anything obvious I'm missing?
Thanks,
--t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 06:40PM by deagan492.
Re: mysterious gouge
April 11, 2015 12:22PM
Sounds like you already know more about reading the code than I do, so I'll just sugest one thing. I've never had any problems with the vcarve but I have had weird stuff happen with profile, just stuff like not folowing the same path on the second pass. What usualy works is to move vectors a bit on the work and then recompile.
Re: mysterious gouge
April 22, 2015 01:04PM
Tim,

Just happened to notice this.

If you have not already figured it out ... my first guess would be that at some point before the crown there is a Z-up move that goes too high and is topping out. The router is running so you don't hear it ... that causes the Z to lose steps ... and reset to a lower level ... and then you get the gouge at the lowered depth?

Ted Hall, ShopBot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.