Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Beginner Recommendations

Posted by BrianS 
Beginner Recommendations
April 11, 2015 10:47AM
Hi folks,

So far I do not own a Handibot but I really want one. I'm considering this machine, a small Shopbot, Shapeoko or trying to build my own from various plans. So, I thought I'd do some research before I invest in any CNC machine. I have so many questions but I'll try to limit them, so here goes:

What sort of computer/tablet/device would be best to run a Handibot? I have an old clunker desktop which would probably work, but it sort of defeats the portability/size advantage of the machine.

Does anyone use miniature end mills/router bits in their machine? Like 3/16", 1/8" shank or smaller? My main use for this machine would be making scale models with small cuts. Are these bits even a possiblity? I know the big machines can use ER collets but is that possible here?

How often do you use your Handibot on a large project? . Besides modeling, making woodworking projects is another hobby so the ability to use the machine on large projects without taking up my entire garage is attractive to me. But, is it worth the effort I guess is what I'd like to know. Are the results accurate?

I'd like to make some things in Aluminum, 1/4" at the thickest, but mostly 1 to 2mm thick. It would be one-off's not a production line. Would it work or should I not even attempt something like this with this machine.

Ok I guess that's enough questions for now. Thanks in advance if you read this far.

Brian (Dreaming of the Day he can make parts via CNC, oh and I want a 3D printer too!)

P.S. I'm getting this error everytime I load a page. Just thought someone should know:
Notice: Undefined index: user-admin in D:\htdocs\handibot\forum\mods\external_authentication\plugins_bin\100kgarages_plugin\hook_user_session_restore.php on line 29
Re: Beginner Recommendations
April 11, 2015 01:15PM
BrianS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi folks,
>
> So far I do not own a Handibot but I really want
> one. I'm considering this machine, a small
> Shopbot, Shapeoko or trying to build my own from
> various plans. So, I thought I'd do some research
> before I invest in any CNC machine. I have so
> many questions but I'll try to limit them, so here
> goes:
>

I totally respect thoroughly examining your options before making such
a large purchase. To do less can lead to much disapointment.

> What sort of computer/tablet/device would be best
> to run a Handibot? I have an old clunker desktop
> which would probably work, but it sort of defeats
> the portability/size advantage of the machine.

Your clunker will run it fine if you don't mind stringing a USB cord everywhere.
The handibot shines with a Windows tablet though, you can mount it and not have
to worry about the USB cord. I had a Dell that I destroyed (totally my fault), I am about to
go make my first cuts with a new Acer.
More important than brute power is to turn off WiFi when cutting, getting interrupted can sometimes
mess things up.
>
> Does anyone use miniature end mills/router bits in
> their machine? Like 3/16", 1/8" shank or smaller?
> My main use for this machine would be making
> scale models with small cuts. Are these bits even
> a possiblity? I know the big machines can use ER
> collets but is that possible here?

The smallest I have used so far is 1/8" but there are aftermarket collets for the 611
that will take you down as far as you want.
>

> How often do you use your Handibot on a large
> project? . Besides modeling, making woodworking
> projects is another hobby so the ability to use
> the machine on large projects without taking up my
> entire garage is attractive to me. But, is it
> worth the effort I guess is what I'd like to know.
> Are the results accurate?

Tiling accuracy is a mixed bag. Before the large area jig it was
pretty hard to cut anything bigger than 6x8 with any degree of accuracy.
The large area jig has improved this by an order of magnitude; I am hoping that the
upcoming crawler will take us another order of magnitude.

I have an instructable on using the large area jig and when I follow my
own advice the "jogles" from tiling are so small that they disappear in sanding.

[www.instructables.com]

Also, if you want/need to make several small cuts on a large piece you can rig line lasers to help. This works great if you need to cut several holes in a piece of sheet goods.
I need to get busy on an instructable for this!

>
> I'd like to make some things in Aluminum, 1/4" at
> the thickest, but mostly 1 to 2mm thick. It would
> be one-off's not a production line. Would it work
> or should I not even attempt something like this
> with this machine.

the handibot will do aluminum just fine with the right
feeds and speeds.
>
> Ok I guess that's enough questions for now.
> Thanks in advance if you read this far.

You are welcome.

>
> Brian (Dreaming of the Day he can make parts via
> CNC, oh and I want a 3D printer too!)
>
> P.S. I'm getting this error everytime I load a
> page. Just thought someone should know:
> Notice: Undefined index: user-admin in
> D:\htdocs\handibot\forum\mods\external_authenticat
> ion\plugins_bin\100kgarages_plugin\hook_user_sessi
> on_restore.php on line 29

This has been here for a while, looks like one of those bugs
that just won't smash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 01:17PM by Mark Evans.
April 12, 2015 10:28AM
Mark,

Thanks for the answers. I'm not really familar with what's available in tables these days so is there a list of processing requirements somewhere? Could you please tell me what tablet you used and are using now. By looking at the specs that could give me an idea of what to use. Also, do you do your CAD work right on the same tablet or do you transfer it from another device? I have Sketchup, Draftsight and AutoCAD 123 (free versions of each).

Thanks again...
Brian
April 12, 2015 01:12PM
BrianS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the answers. I'm not really familar
> with what's available in tables these days so is
> there a list of processing requirements somewhere?
> Could you please tell me what tablet you used and
> are using now. By looking at the specs that could
> give me an idea of what to use.

Brian,
I was using the cheapest Dell, don't remember the model number, and now am using an Acer Aspire Switch 10.
The key thing is it must be running a full version of Windows. No Macs, no Netbooks, no proprietary version of windows like were on some of the ones from MicroSoft. This Acer has only 2G of RAM but works fine, the control software has a very low overhead.

Also, do you do
> your CAD work right on the same tablet or do you
> transfer it from another device? I have Sketchup,
> Draftsight and AutoCAD 123 (free versions of
> each).

My personal workflow is to start on my desktop machine with a 27" screen and start with Sketchup if this is going to be an assembled item.
I start with Vcarve Pro if it is just 2.5D and there are no particular challenges. The CAD of Vcarve is basic but good enough for most of my needs but sure; you can work in most anything else and import if there are hard or impossible vectors to do in vcarve.
I install Vcarve on the computers I will run the handibot with so that if there is a slight problem I can fix it on the spot.

Working in Vcarve on your tablet, or laptop also works great when all you need it a something quite simple. This is a place where a handibot shines. Last fall I needed to cut a simple round hole into a piece of new exterior wallboard for the dryer vent. I measured, marked, and set the handibot on the board, quickly drew the circle in vcarve and pushed cut. This sort of thing will be even faster if/when shopbots dream of apps comes along.

If you have not already, you can download a trial version of Vcarve from Vetric. It will do everything but compile tool paths. You can even save work and then use them when you get your full version.

>
> Thanks again...
> Brian
April 13, 2015 03:05PM
Thanks again Mark.

I will download Vcarve and try it out. Although the marjority of things I'd like to make are small the ability to make big ones without a huge tool footprint is nice, but when using the large area jig what sort of precision is typical? I know there are factors which could affect this percision, operator error in indexing, etc., but in general how accurate is it?

Is there any word on when the 4th, 5th axis add-ons will be available? Any hint of how much they would cost? Has anyone 'rolled their own version' of these in the mean time?
April 13, 2015 08:54PM
Brian,
When I follow all of my own advice on the large area jig I typically get tolerance of +-.010" if indexing only in X, if you are fastidious you can keep the error down to +-. 025" the or so indexing in Y.
ShopBot is working on a crawler that I hope will cut that in half.
All I can safely tell you about the 4th and 5th axis is that they are actively working on the 4th axis.
I have not seen anyone roll their own but it could easily be done. The latest drawings make it look like theirs will be pretty cool.
April 17, 2015 03:22PM
Thanks yet again, Mark. I appreciate your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.