Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

cutting my own handibot from scratch?

Posted by AlpayKasal 
Hi, i'm not sure if this is a silly question or not but here goes...

Can i cut all the physical parts for a Handibot myself?

i'd very much like to own one but for 2 big reasons, that's tough. I'm based in Istanbul, where the customs system is pretty much set up to work against the individual. i have never had a tech order go well for me. items have been flat out rejected and sent back when i refused to pay more than 2x the total value of items sent from the USA (i have even had this ransom money applied to a pair of shoes ordered from london). Then the lack of a CE makes me think this just ain't gonna happen.

so, i have assembled and currently operate the Istanbul branch of GE Garages (kind of a digital fabrication innovation center) where i make lots of use of our Shopbot Desktop (its the thing i teach on most, next to the makerbots). I have the ability to cut aluminum on the Shopbot desktop, theres a Tormach here too, and an epilog laser cutter, fwiw. I feel like I have got a lot of ability but it is all here temporarily. the 1 year pop-up is moving on soon.

I saw photos online of a handibot cutting parts for another handibot... and i read about an eventual guts replacement... and i can get a router here. possible? legal? thanks.

Alpay Kasal
Hi Alpay,

Legal, yes. For sure ... (and if you have not seen it, there is a forum article here with a draft of the licensing we will be doing with the Handibot. See: https://handibot.com/blog/2015/04/development-team-report-april-2015/ ... Topic 2 towards the bottom).

Plastic parts, yes ... and reasonably practical. You can get the model from the ShopBot Github site and create your own tool paths from it. Or, more easily, I will post our machining files that should run well on Your Desktop. They will take 4 sheets of 18"x24" HDPE plastic. We use a custom vacuum hold-down with these files, so you will need to come up with your own hold-down system (probably easiest just to screw parts down for a couple tools).

Aluminum parts, hmmm ... we made all the aluminum parts for prototype Handibots with the ShopBot Desktop tool. But, for our current volumes they are made for us by a local machine shop and I don't have tool path files for them. You'll need to generate them from the model. Those are primarily the parts for the X/Z car and the Y-drive bracket. Definitely possible ... but will involve some work.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

For the rails, motors, and electronics. The details are specified in the BOM and the parts, except for length, are nearly identical to the ones on the ShopBot Desktop that you have there if you want something to use for comparison. You may be able to source many of them locally (the rails, for example, are interchangeable with several brands). We also sell an "Inventors Kit" that has our control board and the motors/screws. That would at least keep what gets shipped to you down to a small amount.

As a suggestion for the future, maybe we should get GE Garages to take several Handibots along with them whenever they do a "pop-up". Then, as a demonstration of goodwill and support, they can leave the Handibots with the people that they have trained and excited in the local community!

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
Thank you for the detailed response! All of it good news too!

I am a voice within GE Garages (an outside management company actually handles planning, purchasing and logistics, I answer to both them and GE) and I have voice in purchase decisions. I can easily be the go-between for such conversation. I believe saudi arabia is the next stop. We've had some issue with CE markings and I've been making machine modifications to almost all the gear to allow them to stay within the county. I'd have to do the same with the handbot too, I imagine. Btw, building "some" of the machine locally is one way around expensive CE approval. I'll mention all this conversation to garages.
Re: cutting my own handibot from scratch?
February 17, 2016 02:44AM
Hi Ted,

How do i purchase the "Inventors Kit"??

Regards
Jason
February 18, 2016 03:36PM
Hi Jason,

We are deeply bogged down at the moment in getting the V2 Handibots with their new FabMo control platform ready to ship the first week in March. After that, we plan to work up some kits for upgrades, and for full assembly.

I'm afraid that we have not been very talkative, here. But we have actually been very busy ... and think all will be happy with the new version of the tool, with a the several update paths that are available, and with various kits.

We hope to have the new hardware version up on github shortly.

If you're interested in the new FabMo platform and the role of Handibot Apps, you might want to check out: New Handibot Software Intro

Ted Hall, ShopBot/Handibot
March 18, 2016 03:26AM
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the response, the new version looks a lot more refined!

Do you have any idea when you will have the Cad files and BOM up on github, very keen
to get started building one.

Regards
Jason
March 21, 2016 05:51PM
Jason,

Believe it or not we've been making changes to the design right up until the day of our first shipment! One that I put in place last week improves smoothness of motion in the x-axis significantly. I've informed our assembly guys about the changes and am in the process of updating our BOM and model. I'll upload it soon--Also if you haven't tried Fusion 360 yet--you can download it for free. I've been putting the most recent models up there and would be happy to share them with anyone who is interested.

Brian
March 22, 2016 05:45AM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I have downloaded fusion 360, always meant to have a play around with it, now I have a reason!
Are you able to share the model?

Regards
Jason
March 22, 2016 09:24AM
Jason,

Try this link: [a360.co]
I'm not sure if it provides access to the whole project folder or just the model that I selected. The project folder is full of older prototype models, the one you want is at the top "handibot 2 assembly" and should have all of the fasteners in the model as well.

Let me know how it works!

Brian
March 29, 2016 02:05AM
Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting that, I can't seem to get it open though, the A360
page says there is nothing there to view.

Regards
Jason
March 29, 2016 11:05AM
Let me try again... [a360.co]

I'm also looking for a place to host the step file for the whole model. I'll try to get it posted later today.
March 29, 2016 03:33PM
Jason,

Folks at work are telling me that this link didn't work either...I'll try emailing a download link to you directly...for now, anyone else who wants the model can just request an email here. I'm looking for a good way to host the large file
March 29, 2016 04:51PM
Also, anyone who has dropbox can give this link a try: [www.dropbox.com]
October 11, 2017 03:38PM
Hi!

This is an old post but within last 12 months, I haven't seen that "Inventors Kit" on sale.
Would it be still possible to buy?
I'm interested in motors etc.
Have the same issue as the person created this post - customs fees and taxes will almost double the cost + shipping and I can't afford that.
Have G540 on the shelf and would use that as a controller.

Regards
Martin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.