Introduce Yourself

Posted by JamesBryant 
Re: Introduce Yourself
July 04, 2015 09:26PM
Thanks Mark that's encouraging!!
July 23, 2015 01:35PM
Hi all Handibit owners,

My name is Gary. I bought my machine a month or so back but have been busy and just unboxed it yesterday. I am a retired machinist with 20 plus years CNC experience. I have a hobby designing and building small boats and was looking for an easy way to cut some of my detailed small parts. In 6 hours I was able to unbox the machine install the software and cut a part. At this point the only big negative I see with the Handibot is that is not using standard G-code. Why is there a need to reinvent the wheel? G-code has been around for a very long time and almost all cnc machines will run on it. I plan to follow this forum and might post some of my projects as time allows.

Gary
July 23, 2015 06:12PM
Garry,
It is my understanding that it will read G code fine if that is what you need to feed it.
The ShopBot code is a super set that will do a lot of things G code won't.
July 25, 2015 02:45PM
The great thing about G-code is it can do anything you want it to with as many axis as you have. It is understood world wide and the standard for CNC control. I will have to see if I can operate my new Handibot on G-code. Still having fun and cutting some good parts.
Gary
July 25, 2015 04:14PM
Okay,
I did a little research for you as well as for myself.

[www.shopbottools.com]
near the bottom of this link the logic is explained.

[shopbotwiki.com]
most gcode can be imbedded directly.

finally within the control software there is a conversion utility.
July 25, 2015 04:38PM
Thank you Mark, I will look at this.
August 05, 2015 01:42PM
Pictures of some of my work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2015 03:06PM by rainescustomfurniture.
Attachments:
open | download - img75.jpg (28.3 KB)
August 05, 2015 02:59PM
Hello my name is Chris Raines. I am the owner of Raines Custom Furniture & Cabinets. I have been a long time user of a Shopbot 4x8 PRS Alpha CNC. I am interested in the Handibot for doing onsite carving, cutting etc. You can see my work at www.rainescustomfurniture.com I hope I am able to contribute to this forum. I am interested in designing a jig for the Handibot for line boring cabinet sides on site.
August 06, 2015 01:24AM
Welcome Chris, I am sure you will be able to add quite a bit. I always look fwd to seeing any jig of fixture even if it is not directly useful to me as most of the time there are elements that can be recycled into other jigs.
August 14, 2015 02:03PM
Hello, everyone!

My name's Bob, I'm from Columbus GA and I work at a TV station and have been doing video production and 3D animation (primarily in Lightwave) since 1991. Before that I had a pottery studio and taught at Columbus State University. I've got a degree in art (pottery and photography) and have been doing woodwork non-professionally since the 1960's (I turned 62 yesterday if anyone's wondering). Links to some of my pottery and photography are below.

I returned from a family trip a few days ago and when I went back to work a package was waiting in my office. The guy who sent it is a good friend who lives far away but we speak often vial email and phone. He's one of those guys with loads of imagination and talent and energy, the type of person who with just a few words can inspire you to do things outside your comfort zone, things you never thought of or were too timid to attempt.

Inside the box was a Handibot. I immediately contacted my friend and jokingly cussed him out him for complicating my life (my father just gave me a lathe, so my spare time is already at a premium). He just laughed. He recently installed a fairly large stationary CNC machine in his shop so the Handibot wasn't getting much use ... he figured that since I had 3D modeling skills and traditional woodworking skills it was about time that I combined them in some way. His reasoning was hard to argue with, so now I am determined to make the most of this opportunity.

Which is why I'm here.

At this point I've installed the software but haven't fired up the machine (had to order some cutters). I'm working my way through the tutorials on Vectric's YouTube channel, which have been quite helpful, and have been exploring VCarve Pro. This morning I came across this forum, and since I can use all the help I can get it seemed like a no-brainer to sign up.

[bhovey.com]
[bhovey.com]
August 14, 2015 04:08PM
Welcome aboard Bob,
looks like you have the talent and background that you will have little to no problems. In fact, as with all newbs, I hope you get all excited and do a lot and share so we can all learn from you.

If you do have any bumps in the road we are always here and I am just down the road. well about 2 hours down 431 but still, just down the road.

Goog luck with it.
September 23, 2015 07:27PM
Call me Plumberb, Not really a plumber any longer but Ishmael was taken. Currently I am a Building Systems controls engineer, getting closer to retirement. I'm fairly long on both mechanical and woodworking skills along with the obvious controls background. CNC is new to me but I expect to adapt fairly easily. I just purchased a used Handibot (thinking it is a 1.0) on ebay. It looks to be in good shape with software, licenses, etc., intact. Sadly, the base plate was damaged in shipping (broken 'ear' where the handle assy. attaches) and will need replacement. Hoping this can happen easily.

Puttering old men such as myself and the Maker community are not that far removed from each other - we both like to stretch our brains and horizons to keep ourselves entertained and maybe make a novel contribution to the greater good. Indeed, it is not hard to find old geezers who are aligned with the open-scource/maker world. One of my ultimate goals is to design, cut out and assemble my own plywood 'stitch and glue' boat. That's where I became interested in CNC routers. Maybe a stretch for the Handibot, then again, I don't have space/money for a 10x5 foot machine - so maybe my boat will be a bit smaller than I would like. I also like the idea of working with 1/8th - 3/16th plywood for glue/metal-fastener free hanging lamps - which is probably where I will start before moving on. Along with other plywood assemblies I'm hoping to think beyond plane space and move to a little 3d at the machine level. I guess mostly it's about dovetailing design skills and the controls (robotics) into things I want to make. Looking forward to it all.
December 06, 2015 10:52PM
I am in ProViz Tech Marketing at Nvidia (the Quadro group) where I work on our rendering tools and, currently, on some experimental tech to address unmet needs in additive and subtractive manufacturing. I am a former visual effects artist and technical director for the film and games industries. I'm also a maker and original Techshop member (Redwood City and San Jose, California) which is where I was first introduced to using a ShopBot about 7 years ago.

One of my interests is fabbing parts for the restoration of a 40-year old Pearson 365 Ketch.

My toolkit includes most of the major visual effects packages - Maya, 3ds Max, Modo, Cinema 4D, and Nuke, and CAD tools, including SolidWorks, Rhino and form*Z. My focus for the past two years has been primarily on Nvidia's GPU-accelerated physically-based, photorealistic renderer, Iray.

Just this week, I acquired an unused a HandiBot second hand. In addition to my interest in the tool for proof of concept for some of the research we're doing at Nvidia, I have some ideas for modding it for a pet project of my own. I'm also looking forward to sharing it with my 17-year-old high school senior, a long-time member of all-girl's FIRST Robotics team, who is currently applying to university engineering programs, and is actively intersted in open-source design projects and the Internet of Things.

Sean
March 12, 2016 03:36AM
Hi All

My Name is Cary Smith, I am soon to be a proud owner of the second Adventure Edition sold. I look forward to experiencing the handibot ride. I am a computer nerd by day and part-time wood worker.
March 13, 2016 04:10PM
Cary,
congratulations on that, we look forward to seeing what you can do with it. I'm a bit jelly of you right now as I have to arrange the $$ before I can order 2.0, probably will sell my kick starter version to help finance it.

If you have not already, join my G+ group for Handibot owners. It is good for showing your work (easy to post photos) and is quite laid back.

cwdsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi All
>
> My Name is Cary Smith, I am soon to be a proud
> owner of the second Adventure Edition sold. I look
> forward to experiencing the handibot ride. I am a
> computer nerd by day and part-time wood worker.
March 24, 2016 12:17PM
My name is Bob Strommen and I work for the Minnesota Dept of Transportation at their road research facility. We are intending to use our Handibot to engrave sensor locations into the test cell pavement (both asphalt and concrete). If someone has some advise on bits and setup that would be very appreciated.
May 07, 2016 07:12PM
I just received my Handibot v.2 and am eager to use it for all sorts of beautiful and useful things. It would have been helpful in making my wooden computer keyboard, and may allow me to make more of them more easily....

I am a semi-retired neuroengineer scientist and professor from Georgia Tech, now doing freelance neuro-related consulting and about to move to Ireland. In my free time I love to make things out of wood, electronics, and software. I learned CNC recently at a Techshop in the Bay Area, using a Shopbot Buddy, Fusion360 and VcarvePro.

As I learn more about CNC, I am disappointed at how rudimentary CNC devices are today, operating mostly blind and numb with little feedback, compared, say, to automobiles with many sensors and feedback systems. I hope that changes soon... But that is another topic for this Forum.
May 08, 2016 11:22AM
Steve,
Welcome,
I am more than a little giddy to see you here as if you really get in and use your handibot you are just the guy to cause the last paragraph happen.
I am not a particularly smart man but I do have a insatiable curiosity that gets me farther than the average person. You figure out how to make cnc smarter at reasonable price point you will be another of my personal heroes.

Here, let me get you started if you have not already thought of it. Cameras. Reasonable quality cameras are dirt cheep now, we just need software to make them do cool stuff for us.....

Cameras in the handibot would fix the indexing problems we have as well as enable placing new work on existing work. The possibilities are endless.

Look at me, I have the coolest toy I've ever had and I'm looking for more....
May 08, 2016 09:02PM
Hi Marc,

Camera support will be integrated in one of the next FabMo release (the software code is already there, the hardware too, we just need to test it a little further, and integrate it to the dashboard).

I think we are all exciting about the possibility this feature will add to the tool.

Jimmy from the FabMo Team.
May 08, 2016 10:56PM
Okay, now I am more than a little giddy....>grinning smiley<

jlucidar Wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Camera support will be integrated in one of the
> next FabMo release (the software code is already
> there, the hardware too, we just need to test it a
> little further, and integrate it to the
> dashboard).
>
> I think we are all exciting about the possibility
> this feature will add to the tool.
>
> Jimmy from the FabMo Team.
May 25, 2016 05:35PM
I just ordered my new Handibot. I'm not sure what all I will be using it for but playing will be at the top of the list. I currently own a 96x48 prs alpha so I am very familiar with the control software as well as Aspire. I'm looking forward to exploring the Fabmo environment.
...Tom
May 25, 2016 08:22PM
Hi Tom, if you haven't figured it out yet, I am the non staff welcome wagon. We are looking forward to seeing what unique uses a seasoned vet can come up with.

tsipe Wrote:
> I just ordered my new Handibot. I'm not sure what
> all I will be using it for but playing will be at
> the top of the list. I currently own a 96x48 prs
> alpha so I am very familiar with the control
> software as well as Aspire. I'm looking forward to
> exploring the Fabmo environment.
> ...Tom
June 19, 2016 09:48AM
All,

I'm Steve. Retired military, but with a day job. I'm a novice woodworker at best, but I hold my own. I firmly believe that the right tool for the job is the best thing you can do for yourself. I also follow my dad's advice when I got married 29 years ago... "Never complain about a Honey-do list. Accept them graciously. And, make sure each one requires a new tool."

Best advice ever. So, my wife wanted some Christmas present ideas for some relatives. Rather than buy things or send cash or gift cards - which, sadly, I've done before - we wanted to make things across the year. Things that take time, care, personal effort, talent, and pride. I bought a HandiBot. (Dad's advice is awesome!) We made some scrabble tiles, a couple clocks, some signs, a "Welcome to the Wedding of..." sign for our friends, and rulers to measure kids as the grow. Just about wore out Pinterest finding new things to make better with the HandiBot.

As for CAD and CNC stuff - I took some mechanical engineering courses in college and trade school before joining the Army. CAD 3.0, back in the day. I'm comfortable with software and trying out the buttons to see what they do. VCarve pro is pretty easy once you play with it... you don't have to be a rocket surgeon to make things great. Just attention to detail and logic. I would like to share some of my files with the group - not that they're great, but that they worked for me. Is there a place to drop some, with descriptions, and maybe a PDF image of the drawing? I don't mind sharing, particularly if it helps a brother explain to his wife why the tool costs so much... "Because I wanted to make you THIS..." (Another piece of dad's advice).

I look forward to making some cool stuff, sharing what I can, and learning from y'all'in's.

Steve
June 19, 2016 01:36PM
Steve,
welcome to the forum and to the handibot.

As to sharing. Right here is the best place for questions and answers as we regularly have staff visit.

For bragging or telling a story, I host the handibot owners group over on G+, it is very friendly for photos and video.

For sharing files in the past, I have always used dropbox but I am going to explore the GrabCad workbench that Brian introduced us to.

For detailed tutorials, there is Instructables. That is a bit of work for the submitter but can be extremely helpful to the reader. There you can mix files, photos, and text into a powerful learning experience for those who don't have the specific experiences you do. (we all have different experience and something to share if we just will) I have done a couple, just go there and search for handibot. Both are a bit dated but the principles still apply. It looks like you fully understand tiling but you might be interested in the one on alternate zero and using the laser. [www.instructables.com]
December 21, 2016 06:58PM
I'm Brian King, the Director of Innovation at a K-8 school. I am a teacher, tech tinkerer and problem solver at heart. Also an avid photographer and cook.

Last year we designed and built a new Innovation Hub at school. It has three main rooms: an Ideation Studio full of writable walls and moveable furniture; an Engineering Lab with a 3D printer, writable walls and a green screen wall; and a MakerSpace with a serious wood shop and other tools.

I've really gotten into woodworking lately, and the Handibot seemed like a fantastic way to marry new tech with old tech and leverage all the creative design ideas that kids have.

I am only 2 days into my learning journey with Handibot, and it has been a rocky start with numerous problems. But I am an optimist, and I am looking forward to sorting it all out and making some great stuff with it in 2017!
December 22, 2016 02:32AM
Brian,
sorry you are having startup problems. The good news is the crew at handibot is second to none and they WILL get you up and running.

I hope you will get in and make some cool stuff and share with us.

And while this is the best place to go with problems you should check out the owners group on G+, that is a great place to share completed work, tips, and techniques.

Also, check out the Vectric forum as there are lots of helpful folk over there to get you up and running with Vcarve.

[forum.vectric.com]

[plus.google.com]
January 11, 2017 11:05AM
HI,

I´m an american living in Sweden for 33 years, been using CAD since early 90´s and 3D printing in my profession since mid 90´s.
Tools are getting to the point where i can consider buying and using in my free-time projects.

Into building kite surfboards and starting to build hydrofoil parts.
January 11, 2017 04:01PM
Hey,
My Name is Dylan Orton I live in Montana I will be using the handibot to help build prototype skis skateboards and anything else I can think of. I don't have really any experience with CNC but I can work CAD software pretty will and am learning the CAM part slowly. Right now I am using fusion 360 but may switch to VCarve for a bit if I can get a PC to run it. I am excited for the possibilities of this tool once I figure it out a bit more!
January 25, 2017 01:20PM
Hello, Steve on the Cal Central Coast
I am a general contractor mainly doing small additions and kitchen remodels.I have been a one man show doing pretty much all the trades which has taken it's toll on my not moving like they used to move body parts, retiring soon!
The last few years I have been designing and making and items from retired wine barrels. [unwineder.com]
I stumbled on to ShopBot searching locally for engraving services, a few videos and a couple of Amazon clicks later I was an owner!
I hope it's not really going to be a 3-week wait!
March 10, 2017 04:11AM
hello
i'm new user.my name is johnw orne and also from UK.

regrads
john worne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.