Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Handibot Work Table

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Handibot Work Table
June 07, 2015 11:50AM
For those of you here that might be interested, I created the first version of a Handibot work table. This table is designed to allow for people to easily have a flat surface to use the Handibot on for smaller items. Check out the pictures and my write up here:

Handibot Work Table
Re: Handibot Work Table
June 07, 2015 01:56PM
Once again you have set the bar high for the rest of us, nice work.
June 08, 2015 08:41AM
Very nice! I tried making something like this out of Legos one time (tried to cut holes in a plastic sheet that could fit the pegs)...and I must say, this works SO much better!
June 10, 2015 07:02AM
Thanks! So far this thing has been working out very well. I did a test where I zeroed the tool to the table and I repositioned the HB all over the table and it held 0 easily. Sometimes it's important to be able to zero to the table instead of the top of the material for certain cuts. That's hard to attain on a work bench, but with this it's way easier.

I also really like using it to make jigs, starting out with a flat surface that you can clamp something on makes it easy to make a custom jig.
June 29, 2015 04:47PM
Eric,
I like the work table. I had made a couple of versions and like yours better. You said in your write up that you might make this open source. Are you willing to share cut files?

Thanks and regards,
June 29, 2015 05:42PM
If you go to the bottom of the post you can download the SketchUp model. That is the model that I actually milled this from.

If you want the VCarve file you can get it here:

[www.dropbox.com]

I am planning on opening this up to anyone, the only reason I haven't yet is that I haven't documented it well. Using the link above you can see my VCarve file.

The license on this is CC BY, so basically you're free to do whatever you want with the files, you just have to attribute me. I'd love to see what you can come up with, I think an easy to make table like this could be essential to Handibot owners and if we can get some good development on it I think that would be awesome. I'd love to help people with their designs.
July 25, 2015 02:21PM
Just starting with the handibot. On the downloaded file, the area that is off the 2d model material size (the table), what's the best way for it to be included so it can be tiled? Copy and paste to a new file or just change the material size and start with the tiles it sits on (if that's possible)? Learning lots but I need this to help me!! Thanks, Robin
July 26, 2015 10:37AM
I would be hesitant about tiling this one. I did one tiled and it's critical that you get all of the holes in exactly the right spot or they will bind badly...

I really designed the table and the fence to be cut on on a big ShopBot. Once you have the table and the fence all of the other sacrifical, the toggles and stops can be made with your Handibot.

I can make and send you a kit if you want...
July 26, 2015 11:03PM
That makes sense... what do you charge? Thanks!!
July 26, 2015 11:33PM
Shoot me a message at SketchThis.net/contact (it goes right to me) and I can set you up with one. I'll make you one with all the parts and the hardware included shipped right to you.
August 13, 2015 12:46PM
Just wanted to say I purchased a handibot table from Eric and it has helped SO MUCH! Obviously my work area wasn't as flat as it needed to be and I had posted multiple problems at first. This seemed to rectify most of them although I still have a lot to learn. For the hobbyist just starting out I can say this would be near the top of my list as much needed things to buy....thanks, Robin
August 13, 2015 01:05PM
So glad you like it!

For those of you that have one, and those of you that think you might want one this is an open sourced project. Send me your suggestions, hack it in your favorite design program etc.

The files can be downloaded right on the link in the first message.
December 12, 2015 07:16PM
Nice! I made something similar using MDF. There are 3/4 inch holes every 2 inches. The MDF is roughly 2 feet by 2 feet. This sits on top of my workbench. I don't have a fence, but rather just use scrap to level the Handibot to the material. I like your attached fence. I drilled the holes and made the cam clamps by hand. It sounds like you used the Handibot to make them. If that's the case then you are certainly smarter than me. Drilling the dog holes is truly boring spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.