Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

able to profile with a straight bit?

Posted by Vogt886 
able to profile with a straight bit?
July 30, 2015 11:08PM
Tired of waiting for my bits to come in so... I would like to profile a monogram...can I use a 1/8" straight bit to do that? The material I was going to use is just 6mm thick and it would be done in 2 passes. It previews okay but since I don't know enough about tooling, wasn't sure. The end mill I have is too large to get a good cut. Thanks, Robin
Re: able to profile with a straight bit?
July 31, 2015 04:12AM
Being the curious type I would try it on some scrap of the same type that you want to cut but as a rule, no, you don't normally get good results from home improvement store straight bits. Looks like most of use prefer spiral up-cut for most work but opinions do vary.
July 31, 2015 11:30AM
This was actually the 1/8 inch straight end mill that came with the handibot. My upcut is 1/4 inch and just too big for the piece... might go ahead and try it just to see...and to use my handibot. I've read so much that I NEED to just try it:-) Part of my hesitation is that I went through my worktable on one piece I was trying--and don't know why so i'm a little gunshy because I'm such a novice...but need to forge on and do some more sampling:-) Thanks! Robin
August 01, 2015 01:50AM
Oh, in that case, should be fine.

Vogt886 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was actually the 1/8 inch straight end mill
> that came with the handibot. My upcut is 1/4 inch
> and just too big for the piece... might go ahead
> and try it just to see...and to use my handibot.
> I've read so much that I NEED to just try it:-)
> Part of my hesitation is that I went through my
> worktable on one piece I was trying--and don't
> know why so i'm a little gunshy because I'm such a
> novice...but need to forge on and do some more
> sampling:-) Thanks! Robin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.