Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Router will not stay on when started from control panel

Posted by Mark Evans 
I was going to to do some cuts the other day just using the keyboard but whenever I would start the router it turns back off again within about 1 second. Anyone know what is going on here?
Mark,

Do you hear the relay clicking on and off when you're doing this?
Brian,
yes, the router comes on as it should, but looks like it is ordered off at the end of whatever script gets run by c6

Th e router stays on for somewhere around 700-1000 ms.
Just to clarify-- you're turning on "Output 1" before opening your keyboard; you hit OK to start the spindle, it starts but only runs for about a second?

I'm curious if you turned on output 1 and entered a command like CR (cut rectangle)--how would that work? The other thing you may want to try is resetting your software to handibot defaults using the UR command. Sometimes a setting gets switched and causes problems.
Brian your "Just to clarify" has discombobulated me! I don't understand any of it and that makes me sad.

I am in command console and I type: C and then 6, this is labeled as starting the spindle. When I do this the router starts and then stops with no popups, just the code flashing through the green code window.

I have figured out that this is calling a file named "ATCon.sbc" This file contains a bunch of quasi BASIC code that I can not decipher.

Is this for a big machine only? It seems to contain a lot of error checking?

Is there an alt way to start the router that I have missed?

The original objective was to manually take down a piece of stock in the indexer by starting the indexer turning then start the router and then manually manipulate the Y and Z from the command console.

I know I really need to learn your SBC code but with this "just" being a hobby where's the time?

Should we replace ATCon.sbc with simpler code?

Anyway, I will see if the cut square and cut circle work on friday.
Mark,

Didn't mean to discombobulate! There is an easier way to do what you're wanting! press alt+1 with your shopbot control window open. You should see a blue button labeled "1" light up on the red position window. This is your output one which controls power to the spindle. Then press "K" to open the keyboard controls. You'll get a warning that the spindle is going to start; just like when you run a file. Click OK to this and you're spindle should start up and you should be able to control it with your keyboard.

As for that ATCon routine--I think that it should be calling MTCon instead...at least my handibot is currently set up as MTC. Changing this is not difficult though. On the command console, open the "Values" menu and click on "Define Variable Values" . The variable name you want to change is "&ATC" and you want to set the value to "0". Now if you were to run C6 it should call a different spindle startup routine. However, as I mentioned above, turning on your spindle with alt+1 is the easier way to do it.

Also; using vectric's wrapping functionality (http://gadgets.vectric.com/turned_profile.html) you'll find that there is a menu option for "Create Rounding Toolpath" this will allow you to carve a round piece of stock out of a square piece or really any shape of larger stock. It's very helpful when trying to set up a rotary cut!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.