Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

cutting circle

Posted by Vogt886 
cutting circle
August 22, 2015 09:48PM
I want to be able to essentially cut some circle pockets. In reading the info, I tried to type CC and enter the diameter, I entered X,Y as 0 and did a =.125 with 2 passes and hit enter. The handibot then attempts to cut a circle, however the spindle does not turn and it basically carves the circle. I tried to type C6 to start the spindle but that didn't work.

Can someone explain how I do this? I know it's just user error:-) Thanks, Robin
Re: cutting circle
August 23, 2015 03:25PM
Robin,

I have had much of the same problems with the router and using commands. I have just found it easier to open Vcarve and lay down what I want there and then cut. This takes a few min. longer but has the added benefit of giving you a visual of what you are about to do.

I do hope they have this all straight at some point.
August 23, 2015 09:43PM
Ugh, the piece is already cut out and is actually a circle as well. If I use vcarve and put the xy datum to the center, can I mark the center and start cutting there so everything is where I want it? Otherwise, I'm afraid I won't have things lined up correctly and my pockets will be off...
August 23, 2015 10:13PM
Robin,

To use the cut commands with the router on, try pressing "alt+1" to turn on output 1 which is the router power. You can also click the blue "1" button on the position window under the heading "outputs". When you initiate a cut command with output 1 switched on, the router will run when the cut is started.

Also, for what you're trying to do, you might like the centerpoint circle cut command. It allows you to tell the tool to cut a circle with its center at a position of your choosing. I'll typically move my handibot to x=3, y=4 (you can do this with move commands--"MX, 3" and "MY, 4"). I can then line my bit up with the center of my circle and use the CP command with a center point of x=3 and y=4 to cut my circle out. This is what I was using in my demo of the laser sight: [youtu.be]

Brian
August 24, 2015 12:25AM
Yes, you absolutely can. this would be the preferred way in my opinion.

I did an instructable on alternate datums and using the laser alignment tool if you are interested.

[www.instructables.com]

Vogt886 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ugh, the piece is already cut out and is actually
> a circle as well. If I use vcarve and put the xy
> datum to the center, can I mark the center and
> start cutting there so everything is where I want
> it? Otherwise, I'm afraid I won't have things
> lined up correctly and my pockets will be off...
August 24, 2015 10:33PM
Thank you both. I started with the CP command because I had watched the video...went to cc when things weren't working so I will go back to the CP. I'll give this a try. I really thought I would just put the handibot on the wood without 'lining' anything up (x3, y4)... with that in mind, can i put x0y0 circumference of i.e. 2 and line up the centerpoint I have marked and it will just cut the circle there? Or do I need to, once I line up the x with the bit, manually zero x and y in the same box where I zero the z? (clear as mud:-))Thanks, Robin
August 25, 2015 08:17AM
Well, if you're using the CP command with a center point of x=0, y=0 and a diameter of 2" you'll need to be able to move 1" in any direction from your zero point without running out of travel on the machine. To do that I'd manually move the tool to a place that is roughly in the center of your cut area and then zero the x and y axes. This ensures that you have at least 2.5" of travel in all directions which should be plenty for the size circle that you're cutting.
August 25, 2015 02:57PM
Thanks, that was what I intended to do. Thanks for your help!
August 27, 2015 07:17PM
Okay, this worked very well! Thanks, now a different question. Can I do a pocket using this method as well?
August 31, 2015 01:37PM
Robin,

To pocket using these commands, look towards the bottom of the fill-in sheet for the circle cutting command. There will be a pulldown menu for "features" from which you can select "pocketing"

Brian
September 04, 2015 10:36PM
Great, thanks Brian!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.