Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Lesson plan for kids / makers - wanted

Posted by Spugnardi 
Lesson plan for kids / makers - wanted
October 13, 2015 05:18PM
Do you have some sort of a set lesson plan for the concept of: teach vectric design, CAM principals and advantages, push to Handibot, cut? Basically what you do with a Handibot, but for teaching kids?

The kind folks of a local children's museum want to take what I did at a recent maker faire and make it more formalized and a bit more of a small one-day (2 hr?) class.

Of course, my role in this is small, since this is a lot about vectric and a lot about the Handibot. I am just some nobody with a Handibot.

I can go about formalizing what I did in the booth (and I am sure you do the same everywhere you go), but if you have some sort of a formal plan, I would be happy to take it and build on it.

I realize for some people that a lesson plan is real IP and means cash. I do not want anything proprietary, nor do I intend to compete with real, competent, skilled professionals who are much better than me in virtually every quantifyable metric.

My intent with this is to open source this content in a generic manner so anyone in the future can have a template of what to do, assuming students have boxes with Vecric installed. I will like to include partial and complete cad files, sbp files, the agenda, and the slides.
Re: Lesson plan for kids / makers - wanted
October 14, 2015 08:57AM
A long time ago, we created a section in the documents page on the Handibot website called "Part Making: CAD to Cut", located here: [shopbot.dozuki.com]. The intent was to guide new users through a simple project to teach the fundamentals of CAD and CAM so that they could get off to a good start with their tools. We haven't added anything to it in a while though.

Mark Evans, who is very active on this forum, has created a few guides on instructables for how to use some of the handibot's accessories: [www.instructables.com]

I'll get in touch with some of the folks that do training around ShopBot to see if they've got anything that you could build off of as well.
October 15, 2015 02:10AM
I would love to see an open source Handibot introduction lesson plan. I would keep it handy in case the opportunity ever came up to present it.

I don't know your background but putting this together would not be a terribly hard thing and I'd love to help if you pursue it.

What age of kids are we talking about and are we talking STEM kids that will get it pretty easily or regular students?

The way I was taught to do lesson plans and it has always worked well for me is to work through the process in your head and outline it just like we learned to do in fourth grade. You want talking points to stay on track, not a speech.

If you don't already have experience as an instructor ( you didn't say) here is a great resource. It is about flight instruction, but most everything transfers directly over.

[www.faa.gov]
October 16, 2015 02:39PM
Thanks for the notes. I think there is enough material in the Dozuki site to complete a 2-3 hour course for kids 8+.

I will make this a Creative Commons lesson plan, so anyone can modify as needed, but before I begin is your content on the Dozuki free for the taking?

What an interesting project to make, I never would have learned about it without this thread, and it is a great idea to build something.
October 16, 2015 03:18PM
You're definitely free to take anything you need from our documentation. Good luck!
December 05, 2015 11:57AM
Please take a look at the PPT I intend to use before we begin cutting. The intended audience is 5th-8th graders who are going to a 1.5hour class with me. This is in DRAFT format. Please suggest changes.

Yes, architects and others probably will find many faults with this, but this is a very high-level overview of what is CAD, CAM, and CNC.

[github.com]
December 05, 2015 06:09PM
I had to do some goggling for TLA, I don't know if that is a good lead in or not. I'd have to see it expanded out into your actual talking points.

Not seeing your crib notes, there is a lot left to my imagination. Looks like a good outline but do you have plenty to fill a 90 minute block? At ten slides that is an average of nine minutes per slide. I know from personal experiance that there is not much worse than being done with a time block half way through it. This may not be a concern at all as I do not know how loquacious you are.
December 06, 2015 09:10PM
Thanks. The intent of this deck is the brief overview, then when it is done we move on to vectric or Autodesk. This is the primer only that should last 20-30 minutes. The software should last 30-40 and the cutting is 10-30. Is there someone who already has a good deck done for software? The links above are very good and I could convert. Unless someone has already done so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.