Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

6061 Aluminum with 1/8" End Mill

Posted by TableSyrup 
6061 Aluminum with 1/8" End Mill
December 07, 2015 09:54PM
Ok, I'm a total noob.

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info on Speed/Feed. Presuming this is differing info, as different machines and tooling will handle differently.

Here's where I'm at. I've got my parts designed. I've tested the program with wood. Came out great.

I'm ready to change out to 6061 aluminum (5/8" plate)

SO.... I am trying to identify how to set this up on the Handibot (Dewalt)

So... with a 1/8" End Mill, what do I want for my RPM (And how do the Dewalt #'s relate to RPM?), what Depth, and what Feed?

I'm seeing people talking about doing 50% the diameter of the mill, in depth. But then I'm also seeing people talking about taking a thousandth.

So.... where to start?

No idea. Totally lost here. I could stay on the conservative side and take only a thousandth, but it would be nice if it didn't take all day to run one part winking smiley

Thanks for any help. I'd like to be running aluminum tomorrow smiling smiley
Re: 6061 Aluminum with 1/8" End Mill
December 08, 2015 12:04AM
With a 1/8" 4 flute square tip end mill, at 10 thousandths cut, #5 on the Dewalt, .1 IPS feed, I'm plugging mills

So... uh......

Anyone willing to provide some input???

6061 Aluminum.... gotta get through 5/8" stock.

Do I need to just take something like .001 per pass? Something like that? At what feed speed and RPM range?

I'm lost here. Contradicting info everywhere I read up. Feed & Speed calculators and guides vary, and they all seem like they would calculate taking more material faster than this thing can handle.

I could really use a hand. I'm sure I'm going about this all wrong.
December 08, 2015 04:58PM
Speed and feed for aluminum are a little difficult on handibot and shopbot tools. The routers spin so much faster than the spindle on a traditional mill. The first thing that I would suggest is using a single flute cutter. The handibot shipped with a bit kit that included a single flute straight cut bit. This will work relatively well in aluminum. Even better would be a single flute up-cut bit (these are available in our store).

With a single flute bit I take 0.01" passes at 3 IPS. You're trying to avoid overheating the material and the fast speed helps to move the router along before any area becomes too hot. You'll also want a lubricant--I usually have WD-40 close at hand so I'll spray that on my aluminum as the part is cutting to keep the bit cool.

Cutting all the way through 5/8" with a 1/8" bit is going to be a tough task no matter how you do it as chips will tend to clog the channel where you're milling deep in the material. If possible it would be great to use a 1/4" bit. These are also available as single flute up-cut.

I'd stick with a high speed on the router #6 means 27,000rpm which is crazy but will work with the conservative pass depth.
December 11, 2015 04:06AM
I agree with almost everything Brian says above and as good as he is at this stuff I am reluctant to disagree even on small points. winking smiley

Ah, what the heck, take both and do your own experiments and come back and tell us what worked for you.

I find two flutes optimum as your chip load is totally whacked anyway, the two flutes will be stronger. And do you have to use a 1/8th? If you can even go up to 3/16, that would be a big help.

As to the lube, I dumped the oils and used straight air from my compressor to keep things cool. I found that any oils tend to keep the chips in the groove and that is bad juju. Keep it cool and clear with air.

Now the feed and speed, I am 100% with Brian. Light, quick passes do the trick.
December 11, 2015 08:35AM
Like I said, I'm a total noob at this.

I would love to do exactly what was recommended as ideal, unfortunately, I have smaller areas than 1/4"
However, I am able to use 3/16" though, so I ordered a 3/16".

Also, Fastenal didn't have a reasonably priced single flute. Theirs were carbide/diamond unobtanium or something, and they were $240

If this 2 Flute 3/16" doesn't do it, I'll order a 3/16" single somewhere online

Thanks for the input! I'm hoping this works!!!
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 7.34.39 AM.png (283.2 KB)
December 11, 2015 10:19AM
We're working on adding a wider selection of bits to our store--in the meantime a good place to check for router bits is McMaster-Carr : [www.mcmaster.com] They're a little pricey but deliver fast. Check out their aluminum router bits--they have a 3/16"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.