Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Better way to zero Z (IMHO)

Posted by Mark Evans 
Better way to zero Z (IMHO)
October 10, 2013 02:09PM
The manual tells us to push the Z down till you have the proper drag on a piece of card stock.
I have had poor luck that way and have figured out that you can jog the Z down in ever smaller increments till you get that drag, also, it needs to really drag, just short of lifting, otherwise you will be under cutting by several thousandths.

Just my observation, as always your mileage may vary...
Re: Better way to zero Z (IMHO)
October 25, 2013 10:54AM
Good observation, Mark. There are several different ways of acheiving a reliable Z zero and you've mentioned my personal favorite. If you aren't already, try using the "Fixed" button on our keypad screen so that each keystroke correlated to a known, fixed distance once you are close to your desired zero point.
October 25, 2013 12:27PM
David,
that is exactly what I am doing! Like lowering a hoist, as I get closer I drop the value of the "fixed" lower and lower till I'm moving about .0025 a bump.
October 28, 2013 05:07PM
I don't use cardstock, I use a sheet of note paper. I also use the 'K' keypad and the 'D' set increment to get it so the bit just barely drags. But I have to admit I really like being able to start off close by just a little push down! grinning smiley Russ
October 29, 2013 02:03AM
The z bump method is great, thanks for sharing. I don't understand how the recommended way is supposed to work at all. I tried it, but uhm, the machine is resting on the material. How is the paper supposed to move?
October 29, 2013 02:00PM
"How is the paper supposed to move?" Sorry for the confusion. I like the idea of getting the bit close by just shoving down on the router. After that then use the 'computer' for the final adjustments that allow the paper to move. Russ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.