Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Mounting HB in 80/20 frame

Posted by Richard 
Mounting HB in 80/20 frame
December 09, 2013 08:28PM
I am learning a LOT about CNC machines playing with my HB, so far using only the 1/4" up-cut bit that came with the machine, and some scraps of plywood. Early lessons include the need to (1) really secure the materials and (2) the screw-like properties of a spiral up-cut bit. The most used feature on the machine so far is the big red kill button...

Many of the things I want to make are smaller than 6" by 8" so I decided to make a "frame" to mount the HB onto that would (should?) let me to load blanks of 8" by 8" material without needing to move the machine itself. I have a ton of 80/20 laying around the shop so I used it for the framework. Eventually I plan to wall mount the frame, for now I am just clamping it to my Festool MFT and letting it hang over the edge.

This is the basic frame, 1-1/2" extrusion:

I added some rough tabs to hold the HB in place:

There is a bottom of 3/4" plywood and a spoilboard (also 3/4") slides in on top of it, then is fastened from below with bolts, soon to be replaced by knobs:

The basic idea is the HB sits on the frame, I can remove the spoilboard and screw an 8X8 blank to it, slide it in and tighten the knobs, run the machine. Remove the spoilboard, reload, repeat as needed. This way I can stock up on 8X8 blanks whenever I have any scrap around.

I will get a bit of video or upload some better photos next time I am in the shop. If this works as expected I will upgrade the tabs when I graduate to milling aluminum.

Comments or thoughts welcome.

RMW

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 08:36PM by Richard Warren.
Re: Mounting HB in 80/20 frame
December 09, 2013 08:43PM
Having trouble with images, trying to use files from DropBox but they are not sized properly. Can anyone recommend how to resolve this?

Thanks,

RMW
Re: Mounting HB in 80/20 frame
January 29, 2014 09:09AM
You can't seem to resize the images here, but they could be downloaded and put into a photo album so they could be viewable. Do you want us to do that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.