Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Limit Switch/Zeroing Issue

Posted by ChadBuilds 
Limit Switch/Zeroing Issue
January 01, 2016 12:49PM
I was using my Handibot yesterday (1.0 Kickstarter with upgraded base) and ran the x-y zeroing routine. It ran into the x-axis stop and kept driving after hitting the prox switch. I hit the red button and then moved it off the switch. I now get an error when I try to zero the x-y axes because the machine thinks its on a switch. The 3 input is also highlighted green.

I am guessing the x-axis prox switch was damaged. Any tips on troubleshooting to confirm this diagnosis and if so where can I order some replacement switches? I would like to have some spares. When I upgraded to the new base the y-axis switch was hanging lower and almost got ripped off. It was damaged but I was able to repair it and get it working again.

Brian, I tried sending you a PM on this, but it is not showing up in my sent messages so I am not sure if it went through.

I have a small job (~3x5 inch) that I am trying to complete this weekend. I am not sure if the machine will run a file with a switch triggered. I am going to try that next. If it will not is there a way to bypass the switch to get this one thing completed?
Re: Limit Switch/Zeroing Issue
January 01, 2016 05:43PM
Chad:
all the limit switches run to the control board, if you know how to work a multi-meter you can unplug the handi and pop the top and check them. I have never seen a schematic on the handi so I just follow the wire. On the kick-starter 1.x we are using mechanical switches so you can take your finger and close either of the switches and see it the reading goes from open to 1-3 ohms when closed. If it is 1-3 ohms all the time you can lift the lead from the board until you can get a new switch. You will just have to set zero manually.

If you have never popped the top, there are instructions at the support section of the Handibot site.
January 01, 2016 08:40PM
So I confirmed that you can run a file with a limit switch triggered. I just manually zeroed everything and completed the job I was working on. That is good to know for future reference.

In the course of running the job I noticed that the fault on 3 had cleared at some point in the course of operating the Handibot. After completing the job I was able to run the x-y zero script.

I did take the cover off yesterday to tighten the nuts/screws that hold the x-axis limit switch. Thankfully I won't have to get the multimeter out! I would like to order some spare switches though. If anyone knows a part number or supplier that information would be appreciated.
January 06, 2016 10:42AM
Chad,

Sorry I didn't get your PM! I've been out of the office for a couple of days. If you could email your contact info to brian@handibot.com I'll get Andy to work up a quote for some extra switches. However, it's sounding like one of them may be a little bit faulty. That'd be covered under your warranty so we'd send it to you at no charge.

Brian
January 13, 2016 03:33PM
Brian,

I sent you an email with my contact information. If you did not receive it for some reason please let me know.

Thanks!

Chad
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.