Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

What to do on a snow-day

What to do on a snow-day
February 16, 2016 11:36AM
I've been a bit under the weather lately. Stuck at home, too cold to go outside, sleet and snow keeping anyone from coming by to visit. So I had to find some way to keep from getting cabin fever--and I thought of a few funny ideas for the handibot. I thought y'all might be interested in the results.

The first one is a machine that mostly just makes messes; occassionally it will ice a cupcake though. Can you think of something more useful that it could do? [www.youtube.com]

The second is a bit more useful--some friends of mine wanted some t-shirts made and I thought we could use an attachment that could hold those nice big fabric pens that won't wash out in the laundry: [www.youtube.com]
My next goal is to get it to do a painting--I had it transcribe a Basho haiku with pretty good results the other night: [www.youtube.com]

Apparently I just really need to get better and get back to work! Though things are plugging along in my absence as we're building our first batch of handibot 2.0s. It is fun to take a break and do something a bit more whimsical from time to time...

Brian
Re: What to do on a snow-day
February 27, 2016 11:31AM
All interesting videos but the one thing that really jumped out was the universal non-rotary tool holder shown in the T-shirt video.

Would it be possible for you to post files for that or even offer it for sale?

thanx

M
February 29, 2016 09:54AM
Mark,

We're definitely interested in getting the non-rotary tool holder into more hands. We've been messing with it and discovering more and more ways to use it--holding a dragknife--holding a wood burning tool--calligraphy pens...I've told Ted that this will be my priority once we've got Handibot 2 going out the door (should be this week!!!).

I'd be happy to share the files as well--however, there are a couple improvements that I'd like to make to it. The bearing system that supports the slide that holds the pen is too loose creating a rocking motion that ruins the detail for fine patterning--it needs to be tightened up. Holding heavier tools in the holder is difficult because you have to choose between either putting the full weight of the tool on your work surface or barely grazing it...some kind of tune-able spring loading would be good. Finally, the opening is too small to pass a standard wall plug through--something I discovered when trying to insert the wood burning tool.

I know that we're always agonizing over things like this with our new products...but in this case I think the use of the accessory will be much more pleasant with these tweaks so it will be worth doing.
February 29, 2016 09:56AM
Also Mark, I noticed that you found my step-stool/votive-holder/pasta-making video on youtube! I'd made that one weekend to share around the office but hadn't had a chance to post it here yet--in case anyone is interested: [www.youtube.com]

Too bad I haven't gotten the handibot to automate cooking a pasta carbonara yet...
March 05, 2016 12:46PM
Ha! I obviously didn't realize that was you when I invited you to join the G+ site. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Great little video. I'll be waiting not so patently for an news on the universal tool holder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.