Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Carving cement pavers with a handibot

Posted by Phil_O 
Carving cement pavers with a handibot
April 05, 2016 01:08PM
I am a volunteer with a group in Pittsfield MA. We are completeing work on a building for our handcarved carousel horses. The entry way will have cement pavers and we plan to carve the names of donors into the face of the pavers. We are considering purchasing a handibot to do the carving. Our question is; can the Handibot be set up to carve the pavers after they are permanently set into the walkway?
Look for us in Facebook - Berkshire Carousel.

Phil
Re: Carving cement pavers with a handibot
April 05, 2016 04:51PM
Phil,

I've never cut concrete with a handibot...so I'm not sure about how well regular router bits will do with the grit and hardness. We did cut something called "polycrete" for a guy a few months ago: [www.youtube.com]

As far as the set up...the only complication that I can see is keeping your tool level to the paver that you're carving in. If the entire tool can be set on a single paver then I see no problem, but it the tool is resting on multiple pavers that are at slightly different heights it may affect how sharp your engraving looks. You could of course shim the tool up to keep it level.

A good test would be if you can cut the material with a hand router--then you can cut it with a handibot.

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.