Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Hand Truck Plans

Posted by CL 
Hand Truck Plans
December 11, 2016 04:13AM
Brian, I know things are super busy over at handibot HQ, but I was wondering if posting the design for the handibot hand truck was still on the agenda. We spoke briefly about it when Ted brought me and some other people over during the September Shopbot training class.

I've finally ordered my handibot, and I'm planning a trip to a local makerspace to cut out some big pieces that'll make early handibotting easier (large material jigs, the work table that Eric had designed, possibly a few other things), and I'd love to include the hand truck at some point.
Re: Hand Truck Plans
December 11, 2016 11:58AM
So glad you got to do a class. I had to figure it out myself and the beginnings were pretty ugly!

Yes Brian, if/when you get the time, all jigs/tables/etc. would be great. Not everyone will use everything but everyone will use something.
December 12, 2016 10:18AM
Hey! I was so glad to see your order come through last week! It was nice to meet you at training. It has definitely been busy so far this month--orders are coming in at double their normal pace!

I put together the latest of what I have for the hand truck. The .crv file I have uploaded is arranged for cutting on a larger tool--but the idea behind this cart is that every part is exactly the width of a 2.5" board that you can pick up from the hardware store (in the section with nice cuts of wood in a variety of species...poplar, red oak, choice pine, etc...) If you were to take the pieces in this cut file and arrange them in a line, then you could feed a pair of boards through the handibot and cut out all the pieces that you need from 3 eight foot boards.

Here's the link: [workbench.grabcad.com]

There's also a .stp file of a 3D model of the cart that shows how the pieces are assembled, I just use big wood screws to hold it all together--I'll try to sit down with one of the finished versions I have here later and take a count of how many screws and washers go into it. For wheels I just went to the hardware store and bought the biggest wheel-barrow wheels I could find!
December 12, 2016 11:35AM
Ok - I've looked at the model and I think I get it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone have a picture of this guy in action?
December 12, 2016 12:28PM
Awesome, thank you! It's been eagerly anticipated for many months now, so I was really glad to make the order too!

It also occurred to me that it'd be great to have the plans for the little stand/base thing that you use in some of your videos. If I recall correctly, that comes from the handibot's packaging, but it'd be nice to be able to make another one if that gets too banged up (or just to have a second one that can stay with "stuff that travels with me when I do stuff off-site" and one for home).

Mark, I knew back in August that I'd have the funds for the handibot around now, so I figured I should start as early as possible getting my bearings with the software. I'd consider myself at "basic literacy" (or slightly above) in Vcarve, but definitely nowhere close in Fusion 360, though I'm slowly making progress. I'm so excited to actually get to cut the things I've been laying out and previewing.
December 12, 2016 01:38PM
Ok. If you check the link I provided above again...I've uploaded a quick doc on how the cart works!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.