Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

xy motion issues-help please!!

Posted by Vogt886 
xy motion issues-help please!!
May 21, 2016 12:06PM
I have a project I need to get done (of course). When I set up my handibot and did my xy zeroing, my machine stutters and won't move smoothly towards the left on the x axis. I turned it off, etc. and it's still doing it. At one time it would only move right even if I clicked on the left arrow button. Also had one time where it stuttered going to the front on the y axis.
Is there any reset ability or an idea of what's happening? Thanks! Robin
Re: xy motion issues-help please!!
May 21, 2016 05:20PM
Sounds like the machines out of alignment, there's a procedure for doing the alignment on the main website under support. If this doesn't fix it either your linear bearings are binding or your backlash is binding. You can determine which by disconnecting the drive and seeing if it's slides easily, if it does slide easily then it's your backlash, you need to clean and Lube your backlash. If sliding is still hard with the drive disconnected then it's your linear bearings or something I can't see from here is binding.
May 22, 2016 09:49AM
Thanks Mark, can you be more specific where I can find the info? I looked under support and did a 'search' for aligning but didn't come up with anything. I know very little about 'tools' so I am going to need some very specific instructions:-) Robin
May 22, 2016 10:23AM
[shopbot.dozuki.com]

I think you are more mechanical than you make out, you've made it this far...

If you really aren't, maybe you can get a mechanical spouse or freind to help. If it was not for distance I'd swing by and take a look in exchange for a look at what your doing /done.
May 22, 2016 10:24AM
Robin,

We're in the process of migrating all of the old docs to our new help page...in the meantime try this link which should point to our older docs: [shopbot.dozuki.com]

Brian
May 23, 2016 08:21PM
Thanks Brian and Mark, in looking at this post from another one having issues, should I try to 'slow' my speed before I align (recommended as a possible solution to that person)? It's during the zeroing that it's stuttering. Mainly going to the left on the y axis but once on the x axis. Z seems to be fine...once it 'stutters', when I click the left key, it goes to the right instead of left. I turn off the machine and it may or may not correct it.

Before I try to align, being mechanically challenged, I want to be sure I do anything it might be otherwise so I don't mess it up. I am one who will try, with instructions to do it. I did find the instructions and may give it a try but wanted to be sure someone might not think it's something else. I did not try to 'cut' anything, just was doing the zeroing...thanks, Robin
May 24, 2016 11:26PM
Robin,
my opinion is that it never hurts to try different speeds to understand the problem better but anytime you have trouble air cutting you have something that needs to be rectified.
May 25, 2016 03:13PM
Okay, so I tackled the alignment today:-) Everything seems to be aligned okay, the screws were centered in the holes as they were pictured to be. I loosened all the nuts, checked and retightened them. I cleaned and lubed it. It is still 'stuttering'. When I unplug and just manually move along the x axis, there is still some stuttering as well as on the y axis although not as much. Any other ideas:-( Thanks, Robin
May 25, 2016 06:32PM
I'm all out of ideas, even I have to call the shop sometimes....
May 25, 2016 07:21PM
Thank you Mark for your help. Robin
May 25, 2016 11:44PM
Robin,

Just wondering--although there was stuttering when you manually moved the X axis--was it easy to move it from side to side with the power off? There is naturally a little bit of stuttering when you back-drive the stepper motors. I'm curious because it may help us figure out if your issue is with the motors or with your bearings.

Brian
May 26, 2016 07:08PM
Brian, yes, I can move along the x and y axis easily with, like I said, just a little stuttering although still moves easily. I haven't done any major big things and can't think of anything that jammed or stopped my machine in the past. Z axis seems fine. Thanks!! Robin
May 27, 2016 01:36PM
Robin,

Have you started working on a different computer lately? Or have you recently upgraded to Windows 10? I've seen some customers with windows 10 computers have USB communication problems that cause the kind of stuttering that you're describing. Because it isn't binding up when you move it around with the power off--I think that the problem may not be mechanical.
May 27, 2016 03:00PM
Brian, I'm a mac user so I had to buy this computer when I bought the handibot. However, I know I did upgrade some stuff-not sure if it was windows 10...how can I tell if that's the issue? And, how do I 'fix' it:-) I've enjoyed doing it and have learned so much so I hate to give it up!!Thanks
May 27, 2016 03:15PM
Robin,

Don't give up! We've found that an older version of the ShopBot Control software doesn't suffer from the windows 10 bug; we're still working to correct this in the next update but for now you can get the older version here: [www.shopbottools.com]

It will look just slightly different but has no less functionality than what you're using now.

I hope this helps and will keep watching the forum to see if there's anything else that I can do!

Brian
May 27, 2016 05:46PM
Thanks Brian, I am hopeful this will fix it!! I double checked and it was Windows 10 I updated to. I just installed it on my computer and opened shopbot and it does look a bit different. Is there anything else I will need to do before a I try to cut a project? Thanks again, Robin
May 28, 2016 12:02PM
I installed the attached version of shopbot. Now, my handibot won't respond to anything in shopbot. It says it's present but not responding, try another port...did that, nothing. Also, I see there's no xy zeroing-do I do that on the pop up one like I do the z in this version? My input 4 was flashing too and it said to reset my stop button. Did that...then I would 'load' the file and it would process but ask for me to load the file again...

Is there something else on this version that has to be done? uggggh
May 29, 2016 09:06AM
Robin,

It appears I may have led you astray! I was talking with the software guys about this problem and it looks like we're figured out some of the settings in windows 10 that lead to communications interruptions in SB3. Take a look at this doc here: [www.dropbox.com]

With this in hand--try reinstalling the latest control software and be sure to set the software up for handibot--(under the utilities menu> "reset defaul settings...") Sorry for the confusion, I was suggesting the older software based on how I'd solved the problem in the past not knowing that we'd come up with something better.

Brian
May 29, 2016 09:46AM
Okay, where do I find the 'latest' version. I think I had to update mine in the past...
May 29, 2016 10:01AM
Robin,

Any time you want to update--the latest version of SB3 will be posted under "Current Software" on this web-page: [www.shopbottools.com]

Please let me know how it goes--I want to help get you back on your feet!

Brian
May 30, 2016 09:48AM
New day, new problems...I downloaded the latest version. When I installed it, there were 3 places it would not install, one was about 1/4 way in and said 'delete file failed' access denied, next was programfiles(x86)\ShopBot\ShopBot3\Bin\UCAL32.DLL, and the last was ....Shopbot3\media\Switch0.wav

I 'ignored' these and it finished installing but it won't 'open' shopbot either on my desktop or when I try to open a file through vcarvepro. So, I need help with figuring out how to now open the program.

I was able to change some settings but for Windows 10 I didn't see a way to prevent updates without turning off my internet and antivirus software so not sure how that's going to work out. I would like to be able to open the program to see if the changes I made make a difference. Thanks, Robin
May 30, 2016 10:34AM
Robin,

That "access denied" message makes me think that you might need to be running the install as an Admin of your PC. If you right click on the install file and select "run as administrator" it should allow you to delete .dll files.

Brian
May 30, 2016 11:34AM
No, tried as administrator and still stops there and won't allow...
May 30, 2016 11:42AM
The first hangup is the SB3.exe file that is denied...even as administrator...
May 30, 2016 12:06PM
Robin,

It's also possible that your antivirus software is blocking the ability to update that .dll file. Would it be possible for you to turn the antivirus off temporarily until you've completed the install?

Brian
May 30, 2016 12:11PM
Robin,

You'll also find this document helpful: [www.dropbox.com]

It details how to cleanly uninstall SB3 to prepare your PC for a new install.
May 30, 2016 01:01PM
Thanks for your patience Brian...I finally was able to delete, rebooted and successfully reinstalled the software back... I have made the changes on Windows and i'll give it a try in the shop as soon as I can...hopefully that will make the difference...I'll report back when I've tried it. thanks again, Robin
May 30, 2016 01:59PM
Robin,

No problem at all--I'm sorry that it's been taking so long to straighten out your problem. I've been sharing all of this with tech support and the software team and it's sparked a good amount of effort into figuring out the conflict with windows 10 and how to avoid it in the future. Please do let me know how it goes and I'll be sure to keep you updated with anything new that I find!

Brian
May 31, 2016 09:11AM
Update....it worked!! No more stuttering and I was able to cut the project like I have in the past. Thanks again for all your help! Robin
May 31, 2016 12:53PM
So happy to hear that Robin! Thanks for the update. Let me know if there's anything else that we can do.

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.