Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Rotary Axis base modification

Posted by Davidlhh 
Rotary Axis base modification
May 23, 2016 08:16AM
Hi
I ordered the rotary axis together with Handibot 2.0. Firstly, the bolts supplied with the chuck cannot fit into the designated holes due to obstruction of the rib. See picture 1. Also, I don't feel that the assemblies can be held down rigidly by just tap-screwing into the plastic base. Hence I modified the base by drilling the holes through and using bolts and nuts instead as shown in the other pictures. Just for information.
Cheers
David
Attachments:
open | download - pic1.jpg (945.4 KB)
open | download - pic2.jpg (1 MB)
open | download - pic3.jpg (967.1 KB)
Re: Rotary Axis base modification
May 23, 2016 06:07PM
David, the pictures that you attached aren't loading for me for some reason but I think I know what you're talking about. The guys at ShopBot have started using hex bolts to attach the headstock to the base--I think we should start doing the same at handibot. I'll get the design changed and would be happy to send you a revised version of the plate with bolts of you would like.

Brian
May 23, 2016 07:13PM
Brian :
The photos won't work for me either but I know exactly what David is talking about. It is holding so far for me but I've never thought that this particular bit was your (handibot) best work.
As soon as my 2.0 arrives I have major and hopefully continuing project for the fifth axis so I'd like the update as well if you don't mind.
May 23, 2016 09:19PM
Hi Brian
Perhaps the file sizes were too big. Reduced as attached.
Cheers
David
Attachments:
open | download - pic1.jpg (371.8 KB)
open | download - pic2.jpg (418.2 KB)
open | download - pic3.jpg (382.4 KB)
May 24, 2016 09:55AM
I can't see the files either, I think it is a forum attachment issue. Could you upload them to a dropbox or something similar? I'm interested to see the issue, since I want to order the rotary axis in the future!
May 24, 2016 03:24PM
The main issue is that the new design for the 3" indexer (what it's called in the shopbot store) creates a tight fit for the screwdriver you need to use to tighten the bolts that hold it in place. I feel bad about this because the metal frame is something that I designed while I was working on ShopBot products...however, one of my coworkers made the switch to hex head bolts that can be tightened from the side by an open wrench. To make this work with the handibot--I'll just need to make a few design changes to the plastic parts...This is why I love cutting out all of our own parts in house! I can keep changing things!
July 14, 2016 06:08PM
Same problem here. I don't feel like I have them tightened down well as a result.
July 18, 2016 01:16PM
Agh! Sorry guys! I let this one fall off my to-do list. Thanks for bumping it back to the top. I'm finishing up a tutorial video for first time handibot users now...will try to get to this in an hour or so before I forget again!!
July 22, 2016 01:18PM
So I've got some new parts to try out to hopefully make this work better. We'll be building some more Accessory Bases soon for recent order and I'll give it a try on those--if all works out well then I can get these new parts to anyone who wants them.
August 13, 2016 04:30PM
Any progress?

I'm getting an accessory order up and if you have this figured out it would be great to get it thrown in the box.
August 14, 2016 12:21PM
I was thinking that there would be more to it--but given the way that the parts are machined, there isn't a whole lot to modify. Really I'm just going to switch to hex head screws and include a small open wrench in the kit for tightening those screws. We actually still haven't built an accessory base for me to try it out on. But I've got the new parts sitting on my desk already and I'd be happy to!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.