Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Z-zero issues

Posted by RS 
Z-zero issues
June 15, 2016 08:55PM
I can't seem to figure out how to zero the Z with the touch off plate.

I switched a cutter and ran the #3 macro to set the cutter height. It is very repeatable, but every time I zero/etc, I'm always .09 away from the top of the material. I move it down and manually zero it for now just to get by.

I've tried changing a couple of the variables (plate offset/etc) to add that .09 but nothing seemed to matter.

Also - when I ran the Macro to reset the Z-plate height, it errors out - something about a variable not being used/set.

I'm getting by for now by manually zeroing - but I'd love to have the Z-plate feature!
Re: Z-zero issues
June 16, 2016 01:51AM
I can't tell you which variable is out as I am just not that familiar with fabmo yet but I have something that is a 90% chance of curing your problem.

From fabmo chose the updater and reload/flash your SBC. I had a different bad load and this fixed me right up.

And yes, the touch plate is awesome when it is working right, I love it.
June 16, 2016 10:31AM
I set the height of the Z zero plate during the testing that I do at the factory. Every tool is a little different due to the variables in all of the materials that stack up to create that height (1 layer of neoprene, 1 layer of acrylic, 1 layer of HDPE, 2 layers of aluminum). From time to time it may need adjusting though.

I created a little doc here explaining how to adjust that setting:
[www.dropbox.com]

Let me know if you can't get to it!
June 17, 2016 12:47AM
Mine came dead on but I ALWAYS appreciate knowing how to correct something before it bites me at 8pm on a sat. night.
June 20, 2016 02:08PM
Got it all squared away.

I take it anything in those boxes overwrites anything in code? For whatever reason if I changed it in the macro (code), it would not change.

Also - loving Fabmo so far. Any chance they will sell the control boards separate in the future? I'd love to switch my other CNC over to Fabmo.
June 21, 2016 08:56AM
You're correct--That macro first looks for the "Zero Plate Adder" value in the systems and only subs in the number in the macro if it is unable to find the value elsewhere (from your settings in the fireup app)

The FabMo guys were happy to hear that you're enjoying their software! They definitely want to offer boards seperately--but first they're going to be focusing on getting FabMo onto all of the larger ShopBot tools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.