Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Can we get a blog on this video please?

Posted by Mark Evans 
Can we get a blog on this video please?
June 20, 2016 10:57AM
[www.youtube.com]

So in my normal snooping around I run across this. It is short but raises so many questions.

• What is the material used for these?
  • What is the source for the material?
  • How was Fusion 360 linked directly to fabmo?
  • Tool pathing?
That cool jig and app (i think it was an app) was made by the famous Bill Young. I'll see if I can get him in here to give a little more detail on how he set that up.
Re: Can we get a blog on this video please?
June 20, 2016 02:07PM
I'd love to know the bit/material.
June 20, 2016 09:06PM
I'm still on the road, but here' the Readers Digest version:

This project was done for the Autodesk Forge Developer Conference last week as a experiment. The engraving was done in 1/16" engraving plastic (Rowmark is one brand) with a 1/32" downspiral bit from Precise bits. The blanks were held in a jig we created, with a recess for the blanks and a vacuum holding system based on some plumbing fittings, a suction cup, and one of the pistol grip brake bleeder gizmos.

[www.harborfreight.com]

A custom add-in was created by the developer of the Autodesk Fusion 360 API that let you import a fusion model of the nametag blank, and then select and customize the pattern you wanted to have engraved on the blank. When you had what you wanted, you clicked the Cut button and that sketch geometry was used to create gcode which was sent directly to the queue on the Handibot using a python script. It was the first time any of us had tried this, but it turned out really neat

We used basically the same system to engrave patterns into the seats of stools, for a project called MakeLocal that 100kGarages and Opendesk run, This time we partnered with Autodesk to show how projects could be customized and fabricated locally.

As I said this was just an experiment and don't know how much if any of this will be released, but if so we'll be sure to make sure that we let everyone know.

Bill
Thanx so much Bill, I do so hope some of this becomes a reality for everyone.

While I have never had a bad or even neutral experience with anyone at shopbot, I always stand amazed at the talent shown by Ted, yourself and Brian.
I'm the guy that wrote the Fusion add-in that creates the shapes in a sketch and then sends the sketch curves as gcode to the Handibot. It was a fun project and I'd be open to continuing work on it. I was just browsing the Handibot site and this forum earlier today and am considering buying one for my use at home so I have some personal interest in the project. smiling smiley

The add-in did two things. The first was it had several commands to make it easy for a non-Fusion user to create some designs by drawing sketch geometry. Some designs were random and others were more defined and had several inputs that the user could play with to get different results. The second thing the program did is read the sketch geometry and convert it to gcode, which it then used Fabmo to send to the Handibot.

Actually, the program I wrote was for the stools that Bill mentioned. Bill took it and tweaked a couple of sizes in the program so it would work on the smaller sized badges too. The code for the stools is posted at [github.com]. What's there was good enough to get us through the demos at the conference but there are definitely improvements that can still be made. I would be interested in discussing possible enhancements.
August 13, 2016 04:26PM
thanx for piping in Brian E.
Anonymous User
September 11, 2016 10:45PM
To add some further information here - expanded fusion integration with fabmo is coming. We have eyes on making a proper fusion-fabmo connector that lets you post CAM outputs directly to the tool. Stay tuned, these features are definitely on our radar.
September 23, 2016 04:06PM
I am excited to hear about the integration of Fusion 360 with FabMo. Please keep us updated!

In the mean time, I am trying to do the post-processing in Fusion 360 CAM to send it to my Handibot. What post-processor should I choose?
I tried the Shopbot ISO and the motor did not start. OpenSBP worked, but I hope there is a post-processor that is designed for the Handibot itself. Is there?
Is there any documentation of how to successfully bring a design from Fusion 360 to the Handibot?
I could not find it at Autodesk.

Thanks,
Steve
September 23, 2016 05:08PM
Steve,

I've not had as much of a chance to play around with Fusion as I would have liked--but I took a stab a few weeks ago at making a post processor that plays well with fabmo. You can download it here: [workbench.grabcad.com]

Brian
Post-processor for use with Fusion 360
September 24, 2016 01:58PM
Brian Owen, ShopBot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve,
>
> I've not had as much of a chance to play around
> with Fusion as I would have liked--but I took a
> stab a few weeks ago at making a post processor
> that plays well with fabmo. You can download it
> here:
> [workbench.grabcad.com]
> cuAc_g79JwJj5xoyB_sCtAKoUyXaXH0NyeRYptWOwEOWN#/spa
> ce/gc7w847Pt4uE0Y2-VXNzofMmxgbYGKxMjhjdYk3aCMUUWK/
> link/555276
>
> Brian

Thanks, Brian. Do you know how to add this to Fusion 360's list of post processors? I can't seem to find any way to do that. I am using a Mac, where all the .cps files are hidden inside a package somewhere. Can't find them. And if I did put this in with the existing ones, it would probably get overwritten during the next update from Audodesk.

Thanks,
Steve
Re: Post-processor for use with Fusion 360
September 26, 2016 09:53AM
Stevempotter check this out... [inventables.desk.com]
Re: Post-processor for use with Fusion 360
September 26, 2016 01:22PM
Thanks, Vegasracer. That inventables post worked great for getting Brian's post-processor into my Mac version of Fusion 360.
-Steve
October 11, 2016 05:39PM
Thanks vegas! I'd been bouncing that one back and forth with some guys from Autodesk and had heard that it helped, but hadn't actually tried it myself yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.