Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Engrave text larger than 6"x8"?

Posted by stevempotter 
Engrave text larger than 6"x8"?
October 12, 2016 08:15AM
I would like to be able to engrave signs with the Handibot. I have the indexing jig and have tried to use it to engrave letters that span tiles created in VcarvePro. This sort of works, but not very well. I set VcarvePro to 6"x8" tiles, no overlap. Is that correct for a 90 degree 0.5" diam V-bit (that the Handibot came with)?
The one video I could find about Tiling for the Handibot was just cutting out shapes with a straight endmill, not engraving. He used no overlap. So I suspect there is some subtlety about using V-bits here that I am missing.
As you can see from the attached photo, there is a very noticeable glitch where the two tiles meet up, ruining the smooth lines of the font.

I thought maybe the Handibot was getting "lost" by running into its edges and so I re-zeroed it carefully after moving to each next tile, but got the same glitch.
I even manually re-zeroed it to marks I made every 6" along the stock, but got the same glitches at tile boundaries.

IF YOU have successfully used a V-bit to engrave large text or designs across tiles, please share with us how exactly you did it.

Ideally, I would like to do this all in Fusion 360 (as I mentioned in a related post) but there does not seem to be any tiling provision there. If you have any hints on doing Tilling in Fusion360 please share those, too!
Thanks,
Steve
Attachments:
open | download - Tiling error.gif (237.6 KB)
Re: Engrave text larger than 6"x8"?
October 12, 2016 08:29AM
Here is a link to my attached photo, which did not download for me from the above post.

Tiling glitches:
[drive.google.com]

-Steve
PS--How to upload attachments so they work properly?
October 12, 2016 09:56AM
I've had some limited success with this as well. Definitely not Handibot's forte.

The closest I've come is to realize that you have to clean up after every tile. Any dust on the material can throw off the engraving. Clean real well, and move to the next tile. Everything has to be clamped really, really well. Make sure you pull the handibot back against the rail to assure it is seated.

Even with the above advice, I find some overlap areas that don't work too well.

My own personal solution (that I have yet to try) is to use a 3" indexing rail and use slightly smaller tiles with some overlap. I'm not sure if this will make it better or worse. I plan to try some indexed 3d carvings and v-carvings with the accessory base in the near future - that indexes by 4" as opposed to the full 8" in the Y direction.

I'll let you know what I find.
October 13, 2016 07:32AM
Thanks, RS, those are excellent suggestions:
1. Clean off all dust and chips each tile.
2. Make sure Handibot is well seated against indexing jig.
3. Clamp everything down well (including the Handibot?)

I also thought of trying smaller tiles with some overlap, so I am eager to hear how it goes for you. Keep us informed!

Wlll anyone else chime in with their tiling experiences?

-Steve
October 13, 2016 10:59AM
The way that I do long signs on handibot is to break the job up into multiple tiles--but make sure that the breaks always come between letters. This makes the tile generation process more manual...but not that tedious. I'm working on some signs this weekend and will hopefully have a more in depth tutorial up soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.