Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Cutting Aluminum

Posted by Richard 
Cutting Aluminum
January 07, 2014 08:05PM
I am hoping to take the next leap and mill some aluminum parts soon. Thickness between .250 and.50, 6061, and I will want to use an 1/8" or 3/16" bit so I can bore holes to be tapped M6 and smaller. I would really like to avoid breaking too many $15+ bits in any one day...

So my questions are what settings would anyone recommend in the beginning? I have several 3/16" 2 flute carbide up-cut router bits, and at least one 1/8" single flute bit designed for AL. My preference would be to use the 3/16" bits if possible, I have used a similar bit in a router before with mixed results on AL, got some galling probably due to moving too slow. I just recently learned that faster is sometimes better when it come to keeping cuts cool.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

RMW
Re: Cutting Aluminum
January 07, 2014 08:20PM
Richard - might I suggest going to [www.talkshopbot.com] and doing a search on 'milling aluminum'. Several folks over there do some good stuff on aluminum. Russ
January 07, 2014 11:16PM
Russ Wood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Richard - might I suggest going to
> [www.talkshopbot.com] and doing a
> search on 'milling aluminum'.
> Several folks over there do some good stuff on
> aluminum. Russ

Thanks Russ, that did not occur to me. Found the answer right away.

RMW
January 09, 2014 10:50PM
Your feed and speed will depend on the quality of bit you use (we recommend Onsrud upcut O-flute).

A good starting place for your tool is .5"/second-1"/ second and .010"-.015" pass depth. Start with the router dial almost all the way up and dial back as needed.

The Talk ShopBot forum is a wealth of information, but be aware that most of the users there have never used a Handibot and might give advice that is very relevant for their larger ShopBots; but might get you into trouble with your Handibot.

Things should pick up considerably around here once we open general sales. Let us know if you have other questions.

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.