Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Hitachi M12VC

Posted by RS 
Hitachi M12VC
November 29, 2016 10:09AM
Just wanted to ask a general question - I'd like to eventually upgrade to a router that will do 1/2" bits and possibly run some rail/stile or profile type bits when the extended Y axis comes out. Nothing as crazy as a panel raising bit (maybe a vertical one!)

Is there any foreseeable issue in running a 2 1/4 HP motor in the X-carve? I'm not sure what the relay on the on/off is rated for and if this would cause issues. Seems like the X/Y/Z rails are more than rigid enough - but you never know! Sure would be nice to be able to avoid having a router table - one less thing I'd have to carry around in the shop.

Thanks!
Re: Hitachi M12VC
November 29, 2016 10:35AM
RS,

What's an "x-carve"? Some kind of fancy chisel? winking smiley

The relay in the handibot can switch 400VAC at 20A. It just receives a 24VDC pulse from the control board and allows the power from your wall outlet to pass through to the router connector. The cable running to the router is rated for 600VAC.

You'd just need to build yourself a new router bracket--something you could mill out of 1/2" aluminum with your handibot (that's how I made the prototype brackets when I was designing it...)

The desktop model of the shopbot works with a 3.25HP router and has identical motors and rails as the handibot (running at 48V rather than 24V so a bit more power on the DT model), so I think you'd be just fine.

Brian
November 29, 2016 10:37AM
Hah!

I was listening to the WoodtalkShow while posting this and they happened to be talking about the X-carve - I obviously meant Handibot smileys with beer
November 30, 2016 03:57AM
Intriguing idea. The things I wonder about are is the larger size of the M12VC going to limit the usable travel? What about a spindle motor that is not any/much bigger than the Dewalt?

Will the NEMA 17 steppers become the limiting factor here?

I hope you pursue this and report back.
November 30, 2016 06:14AM
The only problem with a spindle is that those are usually three phase or 220V.

The Hitachi is the lighter/smaller of the 2 1/4 HP I looked for - but I'm still doing some research.
November 30, 2016 10:57AM
Well--the power supply can be plugged into a 220 source and will automatically switch. The only changes we have to make for international handibots is swapping in a 220 router and giving them the appropriate power cable for their country.

Of course, that'd make your handibot a lot less portable if you had to plug it into a 220 outlet whenever you wanted to use it...but you could still switch back and forth if you wanted to.
October 11, 2017 09:53PM
Sorry for reviving an old post, but I just want to verify Brian's post above. I currently have a Handibot Adventure Edition, 110V. If I move to Europe, I would still be able to use my Handibot just by purchasing a 220V router from the store?
October 11, 2017 10:51PM
Yes--the power supply on the handibot will automatically switch to 220V mode when you plug it into a 220 outlet. You'll just need to remove the two pin connector from the dewalt and put it on to the router you buy in Europe.

Also--I must have totally forgotten about this thread--because I bought a hitachi router with a 1/2" collet to experiment with some lock-dowel joinery a while back and fit it to the handibot--worked great! Just had to cut a new router bracket for it....somehow I thought I was doing something new!

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.