Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Working with the large material jig

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Working with the large material jig
January 29, 2014 08:54AM
Hello all! Just wanted to share a project I did over the past weekend... I took the Handibot and used a large material jig to make some stools for my nephews. I detailed the whole project on my site, but here are some pictures:

You can read the entire post here that details how I pulled this off:

[sketchthis.net]

This jig kit is awesome and really extends the usefulness of the Handibot. I did this project on a pair of saw horses with a few 2x4s for bracing. Since this worked so well I cleared my table and chop saw off a large plywood table I have and will be using that as my CNC table from now on.

I'd love to hear what you all think. If you have any questions/comments please post them here.
Re: Working with the large material jig
January 29, 2014 12:00PM
Great work Eric!

Eric has been one of the beta testers for a set of jigs that we'll be selling soon. There will be parts like the ones Eric used to manually index and tile files, letting you cut up to full sheets of ply. Also fences for cutting lumber parts accurately.

We'll let everyone know as soon as the jigs are available for sale, and also post files to make your own if you have a larger format ShopBot or other CNC machine.

Bill
I am going to start working with the fences too. I am going to try and make some shelves by notching out 2x4s and floor joists... smiling smiley
January 29, 2014 08:51PM
Way cool. I would like to buy the jigs when they are available. Approximately how much money are we talking about? $19.99, $200 or $2,000? I need to start saving.

Humor is the best medicine.

Nice work Eric.
January 29, 2014 10:03PM
Yes indeed, this thread makes me giddy, I have played with my bot but nothing real useful yet mostly do too size constraints. This jig and one mounted to my miter saw stand for dimensional lumber will turn the bot into a real work horse!
I am not sure how much the jigs will go for, but I can say that they really unlock the potential of this machine. I have some other pictures of some new projects that I've been working on that I will post using this jig.

One of the really empowering things I did just last night was make another jig with this jig... See those spacers that I used in making these stools? I needed an extra spacer for my next project and I didn't have one. The original set that I had was made on a large ShopBot. Since the spacer I needed was only 6" tall but much wider than 6", I was able to use what I had on hand to make another one. I put my freshly made spacer against the one that was made on a full size ShopBot and you can't tell the difference.

Now, if I want to cut stuff that's really big I can replicate my own spacers!!

I'll keep you guys posted with new projects as I do them.
February 15, 2014 11:15AM
Just wanted to give y'all a quick update on the Kickstarter jig sets. With lots of help from Eric and the other beta testers, we've got a set of jigs for both Indexing large sheets and working with lumber that we think will be very useful but also customizable. Here are a few picture albums to get you thinking!

The jig parts:

The jigs in use

There's still some small details left to tidy up but it shouldn't be much longer now. Once we've got them setup for sale we'll post the VCarvepro files for them in Github, for those of you that want to cut your own.

Bill
February 15, 2014 09:46PM
That's awesome Bill!
February 22, 2014 03:55PM
Bill-

Would you please add me to the mailing list. I am waiting to buy my handibot for this exact reason.

Thank you.

Anthony
February 25, 2014 09:05AM
I can't speak for Bill, but I think we're close to having the jigs ready to go... Stay tuned...
March 17, 2014 11:20PM
Bill Young Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wanted to give y'all a quick update on the
> Kickstarter jig sets. With lots of help from Eric
> and the other beta testers, we've got a set of
> jigs for both Indexing large sheets and working
> with lumber that we think will be very useful but
> also customizable. Here are a few picture albums
> to get you thinking!
>
> [url=https://plus.google.com/photos/11544032239198
> 9403868/albums/5980615248314617073]The jig
> parts:[/url]
>
> 9403868/albums/5980617562546582161]The jigs in
> use[/url]
>
> There's still some small details left to tidy up
> but it shouldn't be much longer now. Once we've
> got them setup for sale we'll post the VCarvepro
> files for them in Github, for those of you that
> want to cut your own.
>
> Bill

HI Bill

when do you think we might expect to see the v carve files for the jig and some sort of docs on the github ?
we would love to make some content to use this jig system with
March 18, 2014 12:03AM
Yes, would also like to know when the v carve files will be available for the jigs. Seems to be taking some time to design a set of jigs.

Looking at the pictures of the jigs, what is the purpose of the cutout and insert in the center of this photo:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115440322391989403868/albums/5980615248314617073/5980615308624552018?pid=5980615308624552018&oid=115440322391989403868
March 18, 2014 01:49AM
I can't answer the what is taking so long, I'd like to know as well but the cutout and inset is so you can replace just the insert as it gets chewed up by the router bit. The jig is designed to be at Zero Y and some (lots really) of cuts will go beyond Zero to finish. I did not bother with the removable part on my feed through jig as the Y stop is simply a piece of 1x3 that I can reposition and/or flip when it gets too chewed up.

gclayton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, would also like to know when the v carve
> files will be available for the jigs. Seems to be
> taking some time to design a set of jigs.
>
> Looking at the pictures of the jigs, what is the
> purpose of the cutout and insert in the center of
> this photo:
>
> 9403868/albums/5980615248314617073/598061530862455
> 2018?pid=5980615308624552018&oid=11544032239198940
> 3868]https://plus.google.com/photos/11544032239198
> 9403868/albums/5980615248314617073/598061530862455
> 2018?pid=5980615308624552018&oid=11544032239198940
> 3868[/url]
March 18, 2014 08:26AM
Hey guys,

I had really hoped to have them ready for sale by now! I thought I could figure out a way to unify the Kickstarter tools with the newer ones, so that one set of jigs would work for both. Then going forward anyone would only have to design one set of jigs that everyone could use. Simple is better!

What seemed like the obvious solution was to supply the Kickstarter backers with a new-style baseplate, but after mounting new baseplates on a couple of Kickstarter tools we discovered that that threw the Y-zero point off. So we've ended up with a hybrid of sorts...a universal set of rails and spacers for indexing, but two separate lumber jigs and an add-on plywood baseplate for the Kickstarter tools to make them match the Developer Edition tools.

The design is done, but there are a couple of steps for the Kickstarter tools that require pictures and instructions...that's the bottleneck. I'm off to the JLC Live Construction show in Providence RI early tomorrow, but once I get back finishing the jigs up is my top priority.

For anyone that has access to a larger tool I'll be glad to supply the VCarve files for the version that Eric and the other early testers have, but that's basically a dead end and those parts won't work with the new rails and spacers.

Bill
If there is anyone that has the older baseplate like I do and would like to get some larger jigs made, I am happy to help facilitate that through 100k Garages.
March 18, 2014 12:23PM
Bill
would it be possible to get the VCP files even if I don't have access to a big SB?

I can cut the long pieces with my feed through jig and I have been developing my own way to index large areas, and I think I could do it on the HB.

I have one of the KS versions.

Thanx

M
Hey all, I will be seeing Bill this week at JLC. I'll talk with him and see what we can get you.

For now, I would take a look at these:

[3dwarehouse.sketchup.com]

The one with the "puzzle pieces" could be made with square blocks, which are really easy to cut on a chop saw and a table saw. If you very carefully cut them, and build a stop on the bottom and the left of your piece of ply you can make a pretty effective indexing jig with scraps. I did this before I had my jig and it actually worked really well.

Mark, as for trying to make a jig with the feed through jig, I wouldn't recommend it... I tried the same thing, even going so far as using calipers to get the spacing right, and I got so darn close, but it wasn't 100% accurate. Because of that my small errors were amplified the farther out I went.

You'll have much better luck with the block method I think.
April 12, 2014 09:10AM
Any update on the availability of the large material jig? I keep trolling the HB site but nothing popped up yet.

Thanks,

RMW
April 12, 2014 06:13PM
I haven't forgotten you guys, honest!

I sent out three sets of what I think are the final version to beta testers yesterday, and David has worked hard and figured out a way that you guys can upgrade the Kickstarter tools to sync them with the current shipping version....we'll post details soon.

As soon as I'm sure that the "final" version is really final and are ready for the store, I'll also get files uploaded for those of you that want to cut your own or make mods.
April 12, 2014 09:41PM
Thanks Bill.

What is the difference between the Kickstarter HB and the current one?

RMW
April 14, 2014 02:30PM
Hi Richard,

There have been a bunch of small changes...I don't know most of them...but the three that have the most effect on the jigs are:

*) There's a removable pointer now that's integrated into the baseplate, which means you don't need to bolt the Handibot to a separate base for indexing like the one Eric has been using. That means that you don't lose a 1/2" of Z-axis travel because of the thickness of the add-on base

*) The mounting holes in the baseplate for a fence/lumber jig have been moved, to avoid interference with the dust plate.

*) The Y travel has been optimized...it now has enough Y travel that you can make an outside cut of a 6" x 8" rectangle with a 1/4" bit without hitting the stops or prox switch. That means that you can tile at 6"x8" and overlap the tiles by a little bit if you want. We haven't found the need to have an overlap, but with the upgrade it'll be possible

In addition, there are now pointers cut into the base that help line up the tool on both X and Y zero.

Bill
Hey all, i am still working with the old prototype jigs, but they are working great. Here's a little time lapse of some shelves that my brother and I are cutting out:

[www.youtube.com]
May 14, 2014 12:34PM
Still no "final version" of the jigs?
I know some last minute tweaks needed to happen, and the guys are all at Maker Faire in California this week.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess we'll get an update when they get back. I know there were some differences between the production models and the Kickstarter units and they were working on a way for the jigs to work on all machines.
May 14, 2014 02:55PM
That seemed to be the status the last time we heard about when these jigs might be available. I guess I'll just give up and try to make some of my own.

Why not just make two sets of plans, one for the kickstarter units and one for production units instead of all the delays?

It just seems like there is no emphasis to get things done for the HandiBot. Looking at old threads here in the forum, its has been stated over and over that we should be expecting things "soon" or "hopefully in a couple of weeks" but we never see anything final.

Is the HandiBot intended for any serious use or is it just a device to show off at Maker Faires and other shows? Are those that attend the faires and other shows from ShopBot the only ones that support the HandiBot? When they are at a show everything seems to stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2014 03:01PM by gclayton.
May 14, 2014 04:39PM
I agreevwith gclayton. It has been frustrating that there are really no updates on the process and when the question is asked the answer is "Soon... we are working on it" practically on any aspect.

The idea is that the goal is to have much cheaper unit for the masses once things are ironed out somewhere in $1000 range as I remember reading. Developer and Backer editions are about %250 of that. But it seems early access to the tool does not include early access to anything else. If we are Developers we would love to see more then just pictures of the jig we cannot use. Maybe testing early access to the jigs to provide feedback.

There are no announcements. No emails, no newsletters or updates. I go to the store a couple of times a week to see if the indexing or anything else showed up. The reason for that is I have given up hope on receiving the update about them. Which is pretty bad outlook.

There are about 2.5 people who contribute to the forums. Other than that community seems pretty stagnant unless there is some sort of inner circle.

I love the tool, I love the vision and possibilities it has and opens but there a lot more to be desired when it comes to community, support, openness, etc...
Hey guys, I totally understand your frustration. I've got an email into the Shopbot team (those that are at the home office) so I'll either have something for you real soon, or they will come in here and post.

As some of you may know (or have figured out) I work with the ShopBot guys doing some promotion and testing. That's why you've seen me with test jigs and using prototype Handibots.

I don't live in NC, I live in Massachusetts so I am not privy to everyday conversations, but I do know that the initial roll out of Handibots is meant to be a slow roll. They are being really careful and watchful about how people are using these things, and they really want to make sure that they are right before they go full force.

If you see Ted's post on one of the other threads, he talks about the "App platform" that is really going to unlock the potential of this tool... Right now what we have is really a big ShopBot that's been shrunk down. For it to really work well as a portable tool we need to run on a mobile OS and not a laptop or Windows tablet. I know they are baking something up with an API for developers to make easy, simple to use apps to build stuff. The way we have to do it now is OK for us nerds (I mean that in a complimentary way) but not as easy for the greater audience.

Shopbot has been running on Windows for years and they're working on making a switch to a totally different platform, that's a big challenge. Like other companies that have jumped from one platform to another, it can take a while.

That's a really long way of saying please sit tight.. Some awesome stuff is coming. We're on the front of a new way to digitally fabricate stuff. Sometimes being out front and one of the first to do something is that it doesn't always go as planned. While I can't give you any exact time lines, I do know who's working on stuff and it's going to be awesome and well worth any wait.

To bring it all back to the very original question of how can you all cut bigger stuff NOW, you could try this:

[3dwarehouse.sketchup.com]

I made those before I got my large jig and they do work. It's a little bit of a pain to bang them together, and if I had to do it again, I would just cut 6"x6" squares, but an 'L" on my bench and just hold the machine tight on each tile.

If anyone wants VCarve files for those, I am happy to provide them if you can't make them from the Sketchup model there.

Also, if you guys want to make some larger stuff, let me know what it is and we can work up a way for you to make it. I now Mark has had some success with his feed through jig. I've got some other ideas on ways that we can do things.
May 14, 2014 08:18PM
I'm with you guys, I'm frustrated as well but maybe the best way to work out the frustration would be to come up with our own jigs? I know that there are some creative people here, if we'd pool ideas who knows what we could come up with?
I've had just enough luck with a contractors clamp to think that that may be a route to a good large area jig.

As mentioned, a feed through jig works great for cutting within 8" of the edge. Also the lasers work great for cutouts and such.
You guys should seriously do that puzzle thing that I posted above, except with 6" square blocks. All you need is two long pieces of lumber that you can make an L out of that are nice and straight, and the 6" squares could easily be made on standard shop equipment. It would work exactly like the jig that I have, the only difference is that you'd have to sort of set it up and square it on a table. Moving it around is a little harder than mine. Outside of that you'd get the same cutting performance.
May 15, 2014 10:15AM
I understand the frustrations and hope to offer some insight into where we stand with some of the items everyone has been waiting for.

Large material jigs:

We made the decision to unify Kickstarter tools and beyond by creating one new baseplate that works for everyone, with some added improvements. This new baseplate will be included with the jig set to bring the tool up to the lastest spec. When designing the new baseplate, we saw the opportunity to add .25" of travel that will allow you to cutout 8" items along the Y axis with a .25" bit. This is an improvement over the previous 8" travel that allows you to cutout 7.75" items with a .25" bit. To get the extra travel, we redesigned not only the baseplate but also the aluminum Y antibacklash nut rail. The new rail will be included in the jig kit, and will also be available as a standalone upgrade. The rail has been our major slowdown; after designing, prototyping in house, and testing, we have lived with a 4-5 week leadtime to get the first batch of parts. I am happy to say that the rails came in early this week. Our next step is to document the install process and start putting together the kits in anticipation of making them available on the webstore.

International Handibot:

We've had a lot of interest in an International version of Handibot. You might have notced that as of last week we now sell Handibot internationally with 220-240V router.

Apps/ API:

We've been growing our team to help make things happen faster. In addition to expanding our documentation and engineering crew, we've hired several developers to help with the G2/App framework. We have some good traction and tools moving under G2 power. More to come on this.

Handibot Accessories:

We've also put some work in on showing the 4 and 5 axis capability of Handibot. See the other thread with linked video to our progress on these proof-of-concept accessories.

That is the quick view of what we've been up to. I expect we will make an annoucement when we've finalized things to a point of making them available for consumption.

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.