Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Working with the large material jig

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Re: Working with the large material jig
May 22, 2014 11:48AM
Just a quick update...here are some pix of the first production cutting of the Indexing jig parts.

[plus.google.com]

[plus.google.com]

There's a set of update parts on it's way to me from the fabricator today, and as soon as I install them and verify that everything fits the way we expect we'll stick the jigs in the store.
May 22, 2014 12:48PM
And once it's all verified I'll stick the VCarve and dxf files in Github, for those that want to cut their own.

Bill
May 22, 2014 05:50PM
Bill,
Are the new base plates going to be ready as well or will these be for developer edition only for the moment?
May 22, 2014 06:25PM
The baseplates and brackets are done to upgrade the Kickstarter tools to the current model...they will be part of the package.
May 22, 2014 06:28PM
This is awesome, can you say the price or do we need to wait for it to go live?
June 04, 2014 08:59AM
Hi Mark,

The price of the jig preliminarily is $149.99, which includes the latest baseplate and Y anti-backlash nut rail to increase Y axis travel from 8" to 8.3" (Making it possible to cut out an 8" object in Y with a 1/4" bit)

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 11:44AM by David @ Shopbot Tools.
June 04, 2014 05:43PM
Sounds very reasonable, I'll order as soon as it goes live in the store.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it's accuraticy and speed of re indexing compares to my pass through jig.

I've never hit the stops while cutting but another 300 thousandths will be welcome.
June 05, 2014 08:35PM
Sweet, I am ready to buy!!!!

David @ Shopbot Tools Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mark,
>
> The price of the jig preliminarily is $149.99,
> which includes the latest baseplate and Y
> anti-backlash nut rail to increase Y axis travel
> from 8" to 8.3" (Making it possible to cut out an
> 8" object in Y with a 1/4" bit)
>
> David
June 06, 2014 10:31AM
Ditto - how soon will they be available? I have some projects waiting for this.

RMW

Alex Wrote:
> Sweet, I am ready to buy!!!!
>
> David @ Shopbot Tools Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > The price of the jig preliminarily is $149.99,
> > which includes the latest baseplate and Y
> > anti-backlash nut rail to increase Y axis
> travel
> > from 8" to 8.3" (Making it possible to cut out
> an
> > 8" object in Y with a 1/4" bit)
> >
> > David
June 09, 2014 04:13PM
So, even those of us who purchased the Developers Edition need to buy another base plate and a different Y-axis linear rail and make all the modifications in order to get just .3 inch of additional area and access to the jigs.

Seems like more planning should have gone into the Developers Edition prior to making it available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 09:46AM by gclayton.
June 13, 2014 08:37AM
At this point I don't care I just want something to make it easier and I don't have the means to make it myself. Getting very close to disappointment.

gclayton Wrote:
> So, even those of us who purchased the Developers
> Edition need to buy another base plate and a
> different Y-axis linear rail and make all the
> modifications in order to get just .3 inch of
> additional area and access to the jigs.
>
> Seems like more planning should have gone into the
> Developers Edition prior to making it available.
They are almost there. Just sit tight. For those that want to cut large things today, see higher up in the thread for a method of doing it with 6" square of wood and one straight edge. I've done it myself several times and it works perfect. I'd be happy to walk you through it if the info above isn't enough for you.

The official jigs are coming really soon. ShopBot has been working on the installation docs for them to make sure that you can put them in properly. I know from doing it that this procedure is absolutely key to success with these.

But, again if you want to cut large things today, I can help you do that.

This machine is all about experimenting and coming up with new ways to do things, so I'd encourage you to go out and play around!
June 13, 2014 09:21AM
Let me make a quick clarification on the jigs, the two versions of the Handibot, and why we included the baseplate and aluminum bracket in all the indexing jig kits:

*) Kickstarter tool owners will need to install the new baseplate and aluminum bracket to be able to use the jigs. For them there are a lot of benefits, including the built in pointer so a thicker plywood base isn't needed, indicators for X and Y zero, a little more adjustability for squaring and truing the tool allowing for a little more speed, and the extra Y-axis travel. It's probably an hour of work with Allen wrenches to replace the baseplate and bracket and get it all trued in, but it gets you up to the current shipping tool.

*) The Developer edition tools can use the jigs with their existing baseplates, but won't be able to overshoot any tiles beyond 8" in the Y-axis. This may or may not be helpful to you. Their zeroing points will be a little different than the current tools as well which may not make a difference to you now, but moving forward there will be development projects like the 4 and 5 axis accessories (by us and others) that will use the zeroing points for the current tool for alignment.

So the Kickstarter owners will need to install the new baseplate and bracket, and will gain a lot from it. The Developer tool owners won't see quite as much benefit, other than the extra movement (which is pretty handy) and that you are in sync with X and Y zero with everyone else. You can use the jig parts as soon as you get them and save the baseplate and bracket to install later.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 09:22AM by Bill Young.
June 13, 2014 10:59AM
Bill,

Thanks for the follow-up, but as I understand it, the jigs cannot be purchased without the baseplate and other mod items. Is that correct?

So all of us that have the Developers Edition will need to purchase the whole kit, even though we may not need the extra .3" at current time.
I think the kit is the kit, and if you happen to have an earlier tool they include the parts to increase your Y range. If you have a later model you already have the extra travel.

I'll let ShopBot confirm this...
June 18, 2014 08:21AM
Apologies for being a nudge but is there any ETA for the jig kit? Seems like quite a while that it has been "coming soon".

Thanks,

RMW
June 18, 2014 03:10PM
Richard Wrote:
> Apologies for being a nudge but is there
> any ETA for the jig kit? Seems like
> quite a while that it has been "coming soon".
>
> Thanks,
>
> RMW

The jigs are up and available to purchase. If you want the set without the baseplate and Y rail, email me at david.bryan@shopbottools.com.

Best,
David
>
> The jigs are up and available to purchase. If you
> want the set without the baseplate and Y rail,
> email me at david.bryan@shopbottools.com.
>
> Best,
> David

David, could you please define what you mean by "jigs are up and available to purchase"? They are certainly not on [handibot.com].

We are all anxiously awaiting the jigs, I for one have the KickStarter Edition so look forward to the extra 'Y' travel but more interested in the upgraded baseplate and jigs.

Thanks in advance,

BP
June 19, 2014 11:59AM
Hi BP,

Posted under accessories:

[handibot.com]

Let me know if you have further trouble finding the jigs.

David
> Hi BP,
>
> Posted under accessories:
>
> [handibot.com]-
> large-material-indexing-jig.html
>
> Let me know if you have further trouble finding
> the jigs.
>
> David

Cool they are there now and I have ordered, shipping is a little on the brutal side at $67 to NY but I REALLY want the jig and baseplate. Hopefully the delivery will be quick. smiling smiley

Thanks,

BP
June 19, 2014 04:50PM
Ordered - thanks. Looking forward to using it.

RMW
June 19, 2014 05:07PM
Ordered. Minnesota is $77.00 (!) for shipping. I am looking forward to having more than 5.5 by 7.5 inches to work with!
tlf
June 19, 2014 07:22PM
Will the specs for all the items in the kit be posted on GitHub?
June 19, 2014 07:58PM
I think there is a problem with the shopping cart shipping calculator. Initially I had only the jig in the cart and shipping to NJ was $57 IIRC. Then I added a $20-ish router bit, looked at the cart and the shipping disappeared by there was $1.24 in tax, about 6% of the bit's cost. I think there was a message about the shipping not being calculated yet, but I did not see a shipping amount after that.

When I actually checked out the tax went away and I was charged $11.94 for "flat rate" shipping of 20.50#:

Shipping

Somebody at Shopbot may want to look into this.

RMW
June 19, 2014 07:59PM
Should, they always promise, question is when. I'm going to want to put the v notched x axis guides everywhere.

gclayton Wrote:
> Will the specs for all the items in the kit be
> posted on GitHub?
June 19, 2014 10:37PM
Mark, You may want to report the problem with the shipping calculation using the link on the Store page for customer service.

I hope there is a problem found because the shipping costs being reported to ship this kit is ridiculous. I probably will not buy for that reason.
June 20, 2014 12:23PM
The files for the set of large material indexing jigs that are for sale in the store are on GitHub at:

[github.com]

They are available in VCarve's .crv format, dxf, and svg, and are all named "handibot large material sheet jig v2" with the appropriate file extension. The svg version is an export from Vcarve and hasn't been tested...let me know if anyone tries it and has a problem.

Bill
June 20, 2014 03:55PM
Bill,

Thanks for putting the files up on github. Got the crv files but could not download the dxf. Kept causing Github to lockup. But I guess I don't really need the dxf file if the crv works.

Is it possible to get the rail without purchasing the entire kit? If so how much would it cost? Is the new base required in order to install the new rail if you have the Developer Edition of the Handibot?

One more question, what about the specs for cutting the new rail and instructions for installing the rail.
June 20, 2014 08:50PM
Gil,

Not sure about the problem you're having with the dxf file. I just checked and it downloaded ok for me, so maybe give it another try and let me know if you still have a problem.

It's not my call about what is sold, but we cut the plywood jig parts as a set so if we sold just the X Indexing rails we would have an extra set of Y-spacers that we would have to find a home for. If you just want the X-rail, your best bet is probably to look on 100kGarages and see if someone will cut a set for you. They cut out of 1/2" Baltic Birch and fit on a 5' sheet, so you might find someone that cuts Baltic Birch regularly and can fit them on a sheet.

I've used the rails in a couple of ways, but I'm sure there are many more. Depending on the size of the sheet I'm cutting, if I'm cutting a hole or slot in the middle of the material I clamp or screw the rail to the material.and use it to index in the X-axis. If I need to cut more that 8"in Y, I add the Y spacers

If I'm cutting parts out of a sheet, I create a fence out of the same thickness material as the sheet that I'm cutting parts from. I screw the Indexing rail to this fence so that when the Handibot is tight against the indexing rail, the edge of the fence lines up with the y=0 point. Then I butt the sheet up to the fence and can cut to the edge. It's confusing to describe but simple to do...I'll do a Sketchup model when I get a little time.

Until we can finish the instructions, all the cutting info is in the toolpath section of the VCarve file. Each feature is on it's own layer, and the cutting parameters can be found in the toolpath settings for that feature...the depth of cut, bit type, etc.

Bill
June 20, 2014 10:53PM
Bill, Sorry for not being clearer on my question. What I was trying to ask, if the aluminum Y anti-backlash nut rail could be purchased separately and if it would fit on the existing Developer Edition base plate. You didn't include the file for the base plate so I couldn't determine if there were differences between the new base plate in the kit and the one on the Developer Edition Handibot.

Also, if it cannot be purchased separately, will the specs for the Y anti-backlash nut rail be made available.

I know, your probably wondering why I don't want to purchase the entire kit. I think the cost of the entire kit is too high with the excessive shipping cost that is being charged.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.