Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Router bit diameter

Posted by moretoyswins 
Router bit diameter
February 16, 2017 10:10AM
I am curious as to one of the statements in the Handibot Safe Use document. Specifically, the statement "Do not use router bits with a diameter in excess of 1/2” (12.7mm) in your Handibot." The Dewalt 611 manual states "Do not use router bits with a diameter in excess of 1-3/8" (34.9 mm) in this tool."

Is the issue vibration, drive motor related, bit speed, or something else entirely?

I have the Amana Tools: AMS-132 18-Pc Signmaking Advanced CNC Router Bit Collection, 1/4 Inch Shank, which includes 4 bits with a diameter larger than 1/2", namely:

I can understand I should not use the RC-2248 as it's cutting surface is two 12mm knives, and the diameter exceeds the routers recommended maximum diameter. However, the others are within the routers performance envelope, and cutting surface would be dependent on the depth of cut.

So can someone explain the 1/2" limitation?

Thanks in advance,

M
Re: Router bit diameter
February 16, 2017 02:50PM
With respect to motor load--I think that if you adjust the feed rate and pass depth--you can use a bit up to the recommended size for the dewalt router.

However--when the tool is all the way forward in the Y axis--it is only 0.5" away from the front, inside edge of the base. I like to keep at least a 0.25" buffer between my cutter and the tool frame to avoid the risk of cutting into the frame. I think that this is the main concern about using oversized bits--accidental damage to the tool frame.
Re: Router bit diameter
February 18, 2017 08:34AM
Thanks, Brian - that makes a lot of sense so much so it was a facepalm moment!

Cheers,

M
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.