Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

aligning work on Handibot

Posted by Brian King 
aligning work on Handibot
May 03, 2017 10:02AM
Hi everyone,

As I continue to make progress using the tool, I am ready for more precision work requiring me to, for example, cut something exactly in the center of the stock. Assuming I set it up in VCarve properly, I'm struggling with positioning the stock so that the cut actually happens where it is supposed to. In other words, let's say I build a table top panel that's 4'x4' and I want to cut something in the exact center of the top. Beyond eyeballing it, I'm just not spatially aware enough to figure this out on my own!

Any advice, tricks, jigs, best practices to share? I understand that the intersection of the two X and Y notches corresponds to 0,0. It's getting my work positioned properly that I can't seem to do reliably.

Thanks!
Brian
Re: aligning work on Handibot
May 03, 2017 11:40AM
Brian,

When really want to be precise--I'll grab a scrap piece of MDF or plywood and bolt it to the base of my handibot. Then I'll pocket out a space that exactly the size of the blank that I want to carve into. In this case, just a 4x4 pocket. Then I can press my blank into the pocket and rest assured that everything is relative to the coordinate system of the handibot.
May 08, 2017 01:22AM
BK, I think BO thought you meant 4x4 in, looks to me you meant 4x4 ft.

What BO describes works great for small items but if you are wanting to align on large parts like the center of a 4x4 ft. a piece of sheet goods then you will really appreciate the laser alignment tool. It is one of those things I don't use all that often but when I need it, it is worth its weight in gold.
A fair substitute for the laser is to install a carving bit while you find your spot and then install the bit you will be cutting with after everything is locked down.

I wrote an instructable on this some time back, it shows a Kickstarter handibot but nothing in how you do this has changed.

[www.instructables.com]
May 10, 2017 09:12AM
Thanks Mark! I have been wondering about the laser alignment...food for thought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.