Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Make a CNC toolbox with your Handibotspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Make a CNC toolbox with your Handibotspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 09, 2014 09:57PM
So the other day I made a toolbox with my Handibot. I thought this was a really fun project, and something that is fairly easy to do. I'm sharing all the files, instructions and materials you will need to do this yourself:

[www.youtube.com]

All of the cutting files, material list, pictures, and anything else you need is posted here on GitHub:

[github.com]

GitHub can be a little intimidating, but just read the README that is right on that page, and you can download the whole directory and have all the files to complete the project. I am more than happy to help anyone through this if you need any help.

Re: Make a CNC toolbox with your Handibotspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 10, 2014 03:42PM
Eric,

I am curious whether you had to model the insider corner reliefs in SketchUp or does VCarve Pro have a setting that automatically does it?

Chad
Great question, you're talking about "Dog bones". You need those because when a round tool cuts a slot you get rounded inside corners which prevents a hard cornered shape from fitting in. (PS, I am sure you already know this, I am just explaining for the benefit of others)

So I didn't do those in Sketchup, I used VCarve's "Fillet" tool to make a "dog bone fillet". The reason I do it this way is that sometimes I got with varying material thicknesses. Sketchup makes it super easy to use the Push Pull tool to resize slots that don't have dog bones so I just leave those to VCarve.

If you did want to make your dog bones in Sketchup (perhaps you're using a CAM program that doesn't support them) there is a great free plugin for Sketchup called "Milling tools" which can be found here:

[extensions.sketchup.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.