PCB milling apps
June 26, 2017 03:14PM
At Maker Faire in San Mateo I spent a little while talking to the Carbide 3D guys--they make the Nomad, another cool, portable/desktop cnc: [carbide3d.com]
Their's is a little more geared specifically for pcb milling--and they've created a web based pcb milling app. I asked if they minded if I shared it with y'all and they said we're all welcome to use it. I'll give it a shot later on...but thought some of you might be interested in the meantime.

[copper.carbide3d.com]
Re: PCB milling apps
June 27, 2017 08:47AM
I'll give this a shot when I have a chance. I actually saw it when I was doing some google searching, but I didn't really understand what it was.
June 27, 2017 10:11AM
I messed with it a little bit last night--and as far as I can tell, it's only for making toolpaths out of gerber files that you design in another editor. You aren't meant to do board design in the app.
But there are a number of free gerber editors out there I'm sure.
June 27, 2017 11:58AM
That's what I understood it for too. The tool that most people seem to be using for generating G-code from Gerber is Flatcam, which is kind of hard to use. So if this works, it could simplify things. That said, from my quick look, the options are limited, which is where Flatcam excels.

While I'm on the topic. Any chance of updating the g-code to SBP tool that seems to be broken for at least the Flatcam generated g-code? Alternatively, if Shopbot were willing to post the source code for it, I'd be happy to take a look and see if I could tweak it to work.
June 27, 2017 12:03PM
Hmm--what's broken on it? I'm sure we could fix it.
June 27, 2017 01:42PM
Take a look at this, which I think describes most of the issues:

[www.youtube.com]

A few things, but the biggest is that the drill on and off commands are apparently mangled in the resulting SBP code.

The other issue is having to explicitly issue the switch metric command, but I guess I wouldn't expect your utility to add that. But an option would be cool.
June 27, 2017 02:44PM
Cool--I watch it when I get home tonight

Also--FabMo will run GCode (in fact it prefers GCode) so you may not have those same issues with your handibot.
June 27, 2017 07:50PM
Brian is right...gcode is the native language of the underlying be motion system for FabMo so if you can generate gcode, FabMo will be much happier.

And as you've discovered, opensbp doesn't support all gcode commands. You can find a list of the supported commands on the ShopBot wiki at
[shopbotwiki.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.