Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Probing with HandiBot?

Posted by Steveibe 
Probing with HandiBot?
September 30, 2017 03:50PM
I am trying to create a simple convex model, more specifically i'm wanting to make a model of the outside shape of a 8-inch length of a wine barrel stave so I can Vcare text on it using the 'project on 3d model' feature in VCarve pro. I think it is doable but is way above my skill level.
If any experts out there can clue me in it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you, Steve (steveibe)
Re: Probing with HandiBot?
September 30, 2017 04:41PM
Steveibe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> is way above my skill level.

This is not something I have tried but at this point, I would not be so intimidated by the challenge. How good are you in Fusion 360? Is the curve consistent or can it be expressed mathematically?

If I was trying to do this I'd poke around the F360 forums for how to model it and around the Vectric forums for how to apply it once I had the model.

After that, it is just a matter of jigging it up and doing it.
October 02, 2017 01:55PM
Thanks Mark, to answer your question "how good are you in Fusion 360", I am NO good! I did spend some time trying to figure it out but eventually gave up!
I stumbled onto a free program called g-code Ripper that looks like just what I need but I don't know if it is compatible with the HandiBot or Fabmo. Below is a cool short video of it plotting the surface of pumpkin, then carving it.
[www.youtube.com]
Has anyone there had any experience this program?
Steve
October 07, 2017 02:39AM
Steve,
there is a probe like that for the Shopbot but I don't think it is compatible with the handibot, we'll have to see if Brian weighs in on that.

I think it would be well worth your while to drop back 20 and try again at learning Fusion 360, not just for this project but for a lot of future work. I would not be able to do a quarter of what I do if I had not invested the time to learn it. I'm still not great but I mostly get where I am going.
October 07, 2017 08:44AM
V carving is very depth critical, and if there are any variations in the surface it won't carve correctly and you'll get variations in line width, etc. Unless your staves are REALLY consistent in shape I'm feeling like you'll have problems unless you model every one, or machine the top surface of each one to get a consistent shape.

Can you cut the text with a straight bit, either on the line or by pocketing? That's much more forgiving of surface variations
Just my 2 cents
October 13, 2017 07:36PM
Thanks for everyone's input. Bill hit the nail on the head, no 2 barrel staves are exactly the same and even if I could I don't think I'd want to probe each one. I'm trying to make something to sell for 20 bucks or less. I'd rather not have to change bits even. I have been playing with small 3d models, grapes and other things using a 1/16th ball nose then using a single line font to engrave text with the same bit and have had some success.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.