Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

stupid simple feed though table

Posted by Mark Evans 
stupid simple feed though table
February 16, 2014 05:52PM
Okay, got my beta feed through table working, stupid simple but it works like a champ! No drawings or files as I eyeballed it all the way with a tape measure and a square.
Just needing to add better hold downs, she will cut unlimited length and the first 8 inches of any width. If I could figure out how to flip tiles I would be able to cut to 16 inches on it.

photos
Re: stupid simple feed though table
February 17, 2014 10:12AM
Hey Mark,

That looks great!

I've uploaded a few pictures of some of the clamping options I've tried out on my Dewalt miter saw stand.

Handibot on Dewalt Mitersaw stand

For hold-down I've had good luck with vertical toggel clamps, bolted into threaded inserts in the fence. I've tried a handful of methods to hold the material against the fence, and have found that a combination of a wedge and a plywood cam clamp seems to work the best.

Bill
February 17, 2014 12:41PM
Bill,
between you and Eric this forum is a real asset to me a first time CNCer.

Really appreciate the additional photos, I will probably incorporate all of that into my beta 0.2. Actually beta 0.1 is going to be a big help building the additional parts to do the up grade. That is why getting ANY jig going is so important.

Any part numbers and/or sources for those parts would be a great help. I can source the toggle clamps but where did you come up with the Allen hardware with the sleeves/bushings?

Something on mine that I am finding useful but is not in the photos is before I got too far in I V carved an XY matrix into the bottom spoil board, that is a big help to setup and as you can kinda see, I have marked the edges of the base with +X, -X, +Y, and -Y distances. I think it will come in handy for working without a jig on sheet stock.
February 17, 2014 01:20PM
Thanks Mark...we do our best!

If you only need a few I've found the bolts and spacers in the parts bins at big hardware stores like Ace, but they're pretty expensive that way. I love those decorative bolts and use them all the time, so buy them by in lots of 1000 from Stafast. They call them decorative bolts and they come in lots of lengths and finishes. You can get as few as 10 of any one size, but shipping would probably be steep on that small of a quanity

Decorative bolts from Stafast

I get 1/4-20 t-nuts from them as well...I use these with 1/2" ply:

T-nuts for 1/2" ply

and these with thicker

T-nuts for thicker ply

The spacers work better than just using a bare bolt to wedge against, and give more surface area for the wedges and cams. I buy them from Amazon in bags of 100

Nylon spacers from Amazon

Hope this helps,
Bill
February 19, 2014 02:36AM
Thanx so much for these Bill, the spacers are on the way and I picked up a small sampling of the bolts from lowes (stupid expensive) as well as a few T-nuts, I'll get an order up with Stafast when I figure out what sizes I need the most of.

I noticed that the handibot is assembled with these and a threaded insert. Is this insert available from Stafast as well?
February 19, 2014 04:36PM
Here is a link to the drop-in-T-nuts that hold the Handibot together:

[www.fastenal.com]

You can get them cheaper at high quantitiy, and can probably find an alternate source like Stayfast as well.

David
March 02, 2014 09:55PM
Eric:
do you have Vcarve files for the wedge and cam? I want to add most of the stuff to the beta that will end up on 1.0 to figure out what works and what does not.
Which files are you talking about Mark, the large material jig files?
March 02, 2014 10:20PM
no, the cam and the wedge you made for your dewalt feed through table.

Not a problem if you don't, probably a good exercise to do them myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.