Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

FabMo update download?

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Re: FabMo update download?
December 15, 2017 02:48AM
Hey, now M4 x 14 screws I know about.
Re the reflash saga, Brian, still no joy after trying as suggested.
It's Friday evening, 10 days to Christmas, and if Handibot shuts down for the holiday period I can see myself stranded for an extended period.
Can another board be shipped out to me? I will undertake to return the original.
Cheers,
Wazza
December 15, 2017 10:29AM
Wazza--I'll get one on the way to you today. I'm sorry for the trouble. No worries about getting the other one back.
December 16, 2017 09:55AM
I managed the flash process to update my card. to version 1.4.2. after finding the drivers.
When I the go to update from the control panel with the latest version, the update crashes repeatably tried about 5 times now.
I am using the internet upgrade.
Has anyone else had this problem
Any advice on how to update to the latest?

John
December 18, 2017 01:37PM
John,

What kind of error message do you get when the update fails? (If the update fails to install it is supposed to revert to the previous stable state and restart, which it sounds like it is doing). It's possible that the copy of the update that your tool downloaded has become corrupted. You could download the "consolidated" update from our website and try that--[docs.handibot.com]
December 20, 2017 07:31PM
Thanks Brian, this process works. now at version 1.6.0

John
December 21, 2017 09:52PM
Hi Brian,
The new Fabmo card arrived today, thank you very much for the prompt action.
This new card has a WiFi antenna, are there any suggestions on where to stick the free end(be nice)?
Also, I intend to delete Fabmo from my laptop and re-install. How do you recommend I do that as there are more than one upgrade files on your website.
Merry Christmas to you and family, and all at Shopbot/Handibot.
Wazza
December 22, 2017 06:31AM
Back again, Brian,
The ribbon cable on the new board is different to the old in that it does not have the micro USB connectors on it. I assume their function is attended by other means and they are no longer necessary. I tried mounting the board using the original cable but the USB connectors won't allow refitting of the dust cover. So back to fitting the new cable, fingers crossed.
In the immortal words of Dan Martin & Dick Rohan, "say goodnight, Dick".
December 22, 2017 10:26AM
Ahh yes--you'll notice that the board itself it pretty different--the tiny usb cables and VHB stick-on deal has been replaced by a purpose built board that plugs into the controller card. So the new ribbon cable doesn't have any of the old danglies. I usually stick the antenna just above the power entry on the inside of the yellow wall.
January 13, 2018 04:53PM
I had to revert to 1.4.2. The new version is simply too unstable.

I had numerous jobs first switch to "waiting for fabmo," then just stop in the middle.

I also had jobs showing a timer starting at 13000 minutes+. Those are usually the ones that failed.

The quickbit app was also just randomly freezing.

I just don't think this is ready for the prime time. It's especially frustrating for me because I was using it on indexed jobs, so every time it screws up, I often lose the entire sheet of material.
January 15, 2018 02:41PM
Dan,

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a rough go of it with 1.6.0--I can't say that I disagree with you. I keep my tools here in the shop on 1.6.0 in order to take advantage of the motion control upgrades...but I do feel that 1.4.2 has proven to be more reliable. I'll continue to share these reports with our software team and I hope that we can get a new version released that is truly an upgrade to the experience. Believe me...I use fabmo on my tools that cut handibot parts--I can appreciate the frustration of an error that wastes my material and time.

Brian
February 03, 2018 05:57PM
I was considering the upgrade to 1.6.x, but Dan's comments concerned me enough that I will put it off, at least for now. I get that the software team needs people using their builds and while I am more than happy to help where I can. However, my current To-do list is mostly working on material not easy to replace.

Out of curiosity has anyone had positive experiences with the latest 1.6.2 release?

Thanks, in advance,

M
February 05, 2018 01:20PM
I've got 1.6.2 installed on the tool that I'm taking with me to the LockDowel show in California...so I'm banking on it working for me! but it is always a different situation when you're in a crowded place with more wifi interference. Will let you know how it goes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.