Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Accessory base for ELB?

Posted by Wazza 
Accessory base for ELB?
December 16, 2017 05:33PM
I have recently taken delivery of my Extended Length Base, and wonder if anyone has designed an accessory base for it?
It is a project I will embark upon but for now, it is on the back burner whilst I get on with other things.
Re: Accessory base for ELB?
December 16, 2017 08:04PM
Not yet but I desperately need to.

Maybe over the holidays, I can make some progress.
December 17, 2017 05:35AM
I am still playing with one, when I am a little further I will post some pics. I would love to see what others have come up with... Bob
December 17, 2017 05:42AM
Same same me. Looking at the underside of the ELB, it seems that it will be a fairly easy thing to do, essentially a box with an indexable floor. Having said that I would hate to spend time making it and not incorporating any clever ideas that others have come up with.
Cheers,
Wazza
December 17, 2017 04:24PM
Like I'd mentioned in another thread--the aluminum extrusions are 1.5" base--and any brand of extrusion should work as long as it matches the size.
December 23, 2017 07:12PM
Here is a suggestion for an accessory base.

I have made some supports for my Festool MFT table.
I had the 1.5 x 1.5 x 6 inch side pieces cut by 80/20 inc and then I cut a 1 inch slots to pass the T-slot bolts through.
You can see them in the attached pictures on each corner.
I added knobs so you can adjust and align the ELB Handibot
This will give about an 1 inch space under the extended base. ( By changing the side spacers you can vary the height of the extended base).
As you can see from the pictures you can pass a 24x96 sheet of 3/4 inch ply and clamp to the table for rigidity.
I will also add a fence to the front so that you can pass any length under the base and keep it square.
A great way to get very thing square and rigid.
I have passed a couple of sheets through with great success

A great addition with my Festool table
Attachments:
open | download - handibot (3 of 8).jpg (451.8 KB)
open | download - handibot (1 of 1).jpg (458.8 KB)
open | download - handibot (8 of 8).jpg (394.6 KB)
December 23, 2017 09:06PM
Very nice John, glad someone has broken the seal on doing these.

I don't have a Festool table and at $700 I doubt I will but I love the simple concept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 09:07PM by Mark Evans.
December 24, 2017 01:38PM
Nice! I really like that. When I was working on the lanterns project last week I kept wishing I had something like this. The coroplast was so flimsy that it was really hard to push the tool over it without bending it and bunching it up. I made a spring loaded pressure foot to hold the material down so I didn't really need the weight of the handibot...would have been nice to have it lifted up. [www.youtube.com]

I'm kinda hooked on this pen turning setup that Ted has been working on right now though...I think I can just bolt a piece of extrusion onto the yellow pads at the very base of the LST--it'll give just enough clearance for a 3" piece of stock in the rotary axis. I'm about to run out to the shop and see if I've got the materials I need. Will post later if it works!
December 24, 2017 01:49PM
In case anyone is interested in the pressure foot (also dust collector)--it still needs some work and won't be released as a product for a little bit...but the latest version is up here--you can download the model and bill of materials: [sites.google.com]
December 24, 2017 01:53PM
Brian, you very much have my attention! I'll be looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with.
Kind of a shame I'm heading out of town for a few days as I have to leave all my toys home
December 24, 2017 02:31PM
Just got to the shop and was thinking about it on the drive over--I think that I'll use those little rectangular cutouts at the back and front of the tool. The extrusion that holds the rotary axis could be attached to a few plastic pins that would engage those cutouts. No need really to bolt it on--just set the tool on top and you'll have pretty consistent alignment. We'll see...
December 24, 2017 07:29PM
Working pretty well! These pens don't really take advantage of the extra length--but the LST is the tool that I've got at home at the moment...

The extra wire for the rotary axis fits through the e-chain that carries the Y axis motor cable...which is nice.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2075.jpg (557.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_2079.jpg (699 KB)
open | download - IMG_2083.jpg (713 KB)
December 26, 2017 11:00AM
Brian,

What's the part number on the vacuum tubing?

Thanks,

Dan
December 26, 2017 11:13AM
Dan,

That is 5500K31 from McMaster.com
January 07, 2018 07:58PM
Here is a cheaper solution using Bench dogs and Spacers.
The ELB fitted across the festoon hole spacing using T-Bolts and spacers it nicely clamps to the table.
The good thing with this approach it is square to the table and cheap.
You can make your own table with the correct hole spacing.

I am trying to source single bench dogs of the correct height without the spacers - more to come on that.
using the extrusion and spacer technique you can produce an envelope under the ELB that will cover most needs
Attachments:
open | download - 20180107_123614.jpg (3.2 MB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.