Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Corner and Edge jigs

Posted by Mark Evans 
Corner and Edge jigs
February 23, 2014 03:14PM
Okay,
while we are waiting on the large area jigs I have developed some limited duty jigs for sheet that is already cut to size.

So, you have cut a piece to size with a table or panel saw but now you need to radius the corners or make some cuts along the edge, this will do it with out the large area jigs.

It would be able to do cuts farther into the sheet than the first tile and we will get to that but this is NO substitute for the forthcoming jigs from our friends at shop-bot/handibot.

First thing to do is cut out these Jigs, I found it easier to do all the text first and then to the other cuts, that way there is only one cutter change.

It is set up as 8X12 so you can do it on one piece or you can do two 8X6 pieces.

Make sure you adjust for the thickness of the sheet you are using, I used good 3/4 ply but I'm sure MDF would work fine.

Vcarve file

Now, once you have these cut out and sanded smoth we will use them.

If you are just going to cut out parts these as cut are close enough on my bot, you may or may not have to make adjustmets to the file...

If on the other hand you want to make a fillit on the corner you may have to do more zeroing, here is how:

• Use the lower left corner jig to get square and close.
  • It will simply fit between the sheet and the lower frame of the hb
  • clamp the bot down then remove the jig
  • now we will do a zero of X and Y the same way we do for Z

1. Run Y up to 3 or 4 in
  2. Run X left just beyond the sheet
  3. Run Z down to where it will contact when we come back with X
  4. Now, work the X back in like you would zeroing the z till it just touchs the sheet.
  5. Tell the software to zero X
  6. Bring Z up till you have clearance
  7. Move X in .125" or the radius of your bit
  8. Tell the software to zero X again
  9. Repeat this for the Y axis

Now you are perfectly zeroed for any work within the cut limits of the hb.

To move across or up the sheet carefully mark the sheet by the distance of the size of tiles you are using and move the hb over by this amount, you can re square using the bottom or left rectangular jig.

I would NOT recommend these for cutting out chairs or stools, I'd just wait on the large area jigs but if you just need to make a cut or two interior to the edges you could do it by marking the whole sheet with a matrix of the tiles and then move the hb to the tile where you need the cut using a panel cutting guide to keep everything square.

photos of Jigs

If you try these let me know how it goes.

thanx
Re: Corner and Edge jigs
February 25, 2014 08:16AM
Mark, those are great jigs! I am brainstorming up a way to make shelves from construction scrap (2x4's and floor joists) and just such a jig was what I was thinking of.

I am trying to gather files and material for Shopbot beginners. Would you be willing to share your files on GitHub? I would post them for you, and you'd still be able to edit them....
February 25, 2014 11:24AM
Eric:
By all means! I'd be honored if you'd put them on GitHub.

Also fell free to improve them and/or the instructions.

All I will ask is for you to give proper accreditation.

A rising tide lifts all ships.

M

Eric Schimelpfenig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark, those are great jigs! I am brainstorming up
> a way to make shelves from construction scrap
> (2x4's and floor joists) and just such a jig was
> what I was thinking of.
>
> I am trying to gather files and material for
> Shopbot beginners. Would you be willing to share
> your files on GitHub? I would post them for you,
> and you'd still be able to edit them....
February 25, 2014 11:26AM
That's one of the coolest thing about Shopbot is that they are very open sourced friendly. We'd of course give you full accreditation. With GitHub it's really easy to be able to edit your own stuff, so you still have all the control over it too.

Why don't you PM me your email address and we can get it setup.
March 02, 2014 09:50PM
Worked with these a fair bit today. I think my use instrutions are pretty good but in the file the left was a bit crouded for zeroing so I have widened the left and the left side of the leftlower jig.

Eric is working on getting this into the GitHub but for now the updated file is here: jig file
March 02, 2014 10:09PM
Mark did you send those files to me? If you did I missed them...confused smiley
March 02, 2014 10:22PM
I did not, click the link above and pull them straight from my Evernote please.
March 03, 2014 08:10AM
Got it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.