Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Operating in a vertical position

Posted by DDO 
Operating in a vertical position
January 15, 2018 02:17PM
I have a project requiring machining in the horizontal position. I built a fixture to mount the Handibot in the vertical position. There doesn't seem to be enough drive to move in the Y direction. Is there a way this can be accomplished?
Re: Operating in a vertical position
January 15, 2018 02:29PM
Would it be possible to align it so that the X-axis is vertical and the Y is left to right on the wall? The X axis only needs to lift the router and Z axis--as opposed to the Y axis needing to lift the whole tool.
January 16, 2018 04:54AM
Yes, that seems to work. However, the video online shows it running vertically in Y for wall outlets. I ran X vertically. Not sure if it is OK to do it long term.
January 16, 2018 10:20AM
I would actually recommend running X Vertical. The original handibot in the video was a bit lighter (less metal parts and no hood) which made it easier to run at normal speeds with Y vertical.

I'd also recommend turning the speed down in your cut file (edit the bit settings in vcarve and recalculate the cut).
Also the "maximum jerk" settings in the Configuration/Axis menu--these control how quickly the axis ramps up in speed. The default value is 50 (50 inches per second per second per second -- it is the first derivative of acceleration) setting this value to 10 will make the tool much less aggressive when it changes direction and will help prevent stalling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.