Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Rotary Axis Basics

Posted by Jake_Peloquin 
Rotary Axis Basics
April 10, 2018 11:17AM
Hey all,

Though I have experience with CNC and Fusion360, I am very new to Handibot. I'm a student at Georgia Tech and I am working on getting our Handibot V2.0 up to speed. I have the rotary axis as well as the accessory base, and I was just wondering if there is a simple way to check if the rotary axis is working properly, such as how you can jog the router in x, y, and z directions from the Fabmo dashboard. Also, is there additional software needed to perform 3D carving with the rotary axis from gcode created in F360? I have the post processor but that is about it. Please let me know!
Re: Rotary Axis Basics
April 10, 2018 03:21PM
Jake,

To control the rotary axis with FabMo--you'll just need to enable that extra axis. It's a quick setting update in the configuration window. Instructions are contained in the doc that I've attached to this post.

I personally use VCarve for all of my rotary work. Vectric has some tutorials on setting up "wrapped jobs" in VCarve--check out this link:[www.vectric.eu]

Someone else may chime in with more helpful info on how to toolpath in Fusion--but I would also say that even if you create the model in fusion, you can export it as an .stl and toolpath it in VCarve.

Brian
Attachments:
open | download - Handibot 2 MANUAL Rotary Axis Setup.pdf (2.07 MB)
April 11, 2018 12:38AM
Brian,

Thank you so much! I will have to check out VCarve.
April 23, 2018 11:31AM
Jake,
you should try out DeskProto, it is free for 30 days but the hobby license is about $300. Like Vcarve or Aspire, it does its job so well that you may well find it worth it.
June 14, 2021 12:58AM
Hello everyone,

Just purchased a used Adventure Handibot and already owned a 4th axis.
My question is, what size stepper motor can the Handibot safely drive?

Thanks for your time,

Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.