Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Step 8 - Can't find ShopBot_HandiBot.sbd settings file

Posted by Chris 
Just started setting up my HandiBot and I found that I cannot get past Step 8 of the Setup Guide.

It says to select HandiBot from the settings but there isn't a file of that name (presumably ShopBot_HandiBot.sbd). I just have the ShopBot_PRSDesktop2418.sbd file there. I searched the hard drive for *.sbd but there isn't one with handibot in the name.

Where may I download this file?

Thanks.
Hi Chris,

My first guess is that you got an older version of the Control Software somehow. If you can get the Control Software to start, look at the "About" item in the Help menu and you'll see the version you have...you need at least version 3.8.10 to get all the features a Handibot needs.

You can download the most recent Control Software, version 3.8.12, from the ShopBot website at:

[www.shopbottools.com]

Look in the box partway down the page and you'll see a link that says " [Click here to download Sb3.8.12] ". Click it and you'll get the latest and greatest.

This should get you going..if not let us know and we'll dig a little deeper,
Bill
Thanks Bill. I've downloaded and installed 3.8.12 from the link you provided.

The usb fob that came with my HandiBot had Control Software version 3.8.8.

autorun.inf                 9/15/2011 12:38 PM
Install_ShopBot.exe         10/4/2013 3:10 PM
shopbot.ico                 5/31/2011 6:20 PM
hey Chris,

Glad it got you going and thanks for letting us know about 3.8.8...we'll make sure that gets fixed!

Bill
Bingo! I had the same problem - rec'd box of goodies yesterday. Now...about the firmware? Where can I check on that? The startup of 3.8.8 hinted I might need to upgrade.
Carlo, the next problem you are going to have is that the provided tool database doesn't contain the bits provided with the Handibot. You've got to find the Handibot.tool file.

Luckily I had the handibot-hardware git cloned and I found the file in MiscFiles/VCarve_Tool_Database.

Look here and download it as raw: [github.com]
I had a similar problem, ended up being that my security software settings were silently deleting files. I bless the software and re-installed.
Thanks, Chris.

I hadn't gotten that far, but by upgrading the ShopBot software, I now get prompted to upgrade the firmware and did so. I have now successfully driven a 'ghost' run of a fairly complex model and could see when it would stop for the next tool change. I have other bits than what came with the kit, but...thanks...I do want to use these mills.

I have git installed for other purposes, so this should be a slice of pi (Next Friday).
I finally did a test part today, and here were my general problems..

I'm going from STL -> SBD using Partworks 3D.

* Partworks 3D is version 1.002. Is this a mistake? ShopBot site says latest version is 1.02 -- where may I download this?

* Partworks 3D (version 1.002) has an inferior tool database screen which is missing the ability to import -- unlike VCarve and Control Software which both have the ability to import the Handibot.tool file, so I got stuck having to hand jam the 3 Handibot tools into the screen

* Which led me to discover that the Partkworks 3D (version 1.002) doesn't have an option for V-Bit tool type
Hi Chris,

*) I have what I believe is the most recent version of Partworks3d and it's the same as you have...version 1.002. My guess is that it's a misprint on the ShopBot website, but I'll check on it just to make sure.

*) The Partworks 3d tool database is definitely not as developed as the VCarve one, and I'd bet it's because it's much more limited in what it does than VCarve. I'm afraid I've got no insights on making it easier to add bits, other than just manually entering them the way you did it.

*) I rarely use PartWorks3d...the Vectric guys call me "2d Bill"!...so take this for what it's worth. My guess is that the increasing width of a vbit will remove any detail above if there's much depth of cut, but if you feel like experimenting you might try modifying one of the "radiused engraving"bits to the specs of your vbit, and input a 0 degree tip radius? See if you get what you want when you preview it in PartWorks3d.

What's the thing you're trying to cut?
Bill Young Wrote:
> What's the thing you're trying to cut?

It was a cell phone case off of thingiverse. Just a part I had 3d printed before and I thought it would be cool to mill it as a test.

I wound up using the 61-040 provided 1/8" bit. It was going ok until about half way when it wigged out and started cutting crooked lines. I suspect it had something to do with my computer going to sleep or something.
Hi Chris,

In general your Handibotting life will be happier if you optimize a couple of power and update settings:

* No matter what kind of computer or tablet you're using, you're better off if you can keep it plugged in while you're cutting.

*) Go into the Power Settings in the Control Panel and set everything that you can to NEVER...never go to sleep, never power down the hard drive, never do anything that might cause the computer to be less than attentive to what you're doing.

*) Turn off any auto-updating that you can find, especially Windows update. You don't want the computer to wander off while you're trying to get it to work for you. I usually disable the wireless connection as well, just in case I missed something like a Java updater.

*) I'm probably more cautious that I need to be about this, but I'm very careful about plugging and un-plugging USB devices. If I'm going to copy files from a thumb drive I shut down the ShopBot software, do the transfer, and then eject the USB drive and restart the ShopBot software. It's probably overkill, but I never have any communication breaks or other problems like that.

My 2 cents,
Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.