Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

how to add a round over bit?

Posted by cuervo 
how to add a round over bit?
July 12, 2019 02:21PM
I got a 1/4" round over bit I would like to add to the tool list. I assume it would go in the form tools since it doesn't seem to fit in the other tool lists but when I try to add it to that list it gives me an err about no vectors chosen that are suitable?
Re: how to add a round over bit?
July 12, 2019 02:57PM
The creation of form tools in vcarve is a little weird -- you actually have to draw the half-profile of the bit in your work area, using the vcarve drawing tools. Easiest way to draw a roundover bit would be to draw a circle with a 1/4 radius then draw two straight lines starting at the center and protruding from the top and left sides of the circle. Set the length of the horizontal line equal to the actual radius of your bit (for a 1/4" roundover, the radius might be 3/8??) Then use the trimming tool (scissors) to trim out the bits of the line that are inside the circle and the portion of the arc that doesn't form the cutting radius of the bit -- you've got your bit profile! Join those vectors, and select the resulting shape. Then try to make your form tool again.

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 02:58PM by Brian Owen, ShopBot.
July 12, 2019 03:46PM
I draw the bit in my work area, and then do what? Is that the vector I its mentioning I need to do this?
July 12, 2019 07:02PM
Yep select the vector, then open your tool database and create a new form tool
July 12, 2019 10:05PM
ok I tried to do that but it still gives me the same err. Hopefully the screenshot will post. I have moved the points to a common endpoint so its all one piece.
Attachments:
open | download - 2019-07-12 (1).png (359 KB)
July 13, 2019 12:06AM
Vcarve is looking for an “open vector” rather than a closed shape. in your example, you’d only need the arc—and not the two line segments connected above the arc. However—a roundover bit usually has a flat central base inside the curved part—you’ll want to draw a horizontal line at the base of the arc to account for this flat part. I’ll draw an example tomorrow when I’m near my computer.

Brian
July 13, 2019 02:12AM
I got it now. Should this allow the 3d rendering to show the edge rounded over? I can't tell if I need to drop the bit down further or if it will just not show up.

Thanks again. Love this little tool.
July 13, 2019 07:02AM
I’m not sure if it shows up in the rendering. I’ve never tried before—seems like it should show up though.
July 13, 2019 09:38AM
from what I can tell it doesn't show in the rendering. I tried adjusting the depth but it doesn't seem to matter. Not a problem, I was just curious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.