Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

first time trying inlaid letters

Posted by cuervo 
first time trying inlaid letters
July 15, 2019 04:56PM
I have a piece of abs plastic that I would like to cut some words out of, and then inlay with some plexi/acrylic letters that I can light up from behind. I have never looked into the inlaying area, is there a video or do you have any advice to help get started?
Re: first time trying inlaid letters
July 16, 2019 02:36PM
I did some inlay work around Christmas (thanks for giving me an excuse to show off some pics!) and I used the guide here to create the toolpaths: [www.vectric.org]

It went surprisingly well and probably all-in took me about 20 hours of work (mostly double/triple checking designs and cuts)
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_7455.jpg (975.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_7463.jpg (1.07 MB)
open | download - IMG_7521.jpg (874.8 KB)
July 17, 2019 12:32AM
very nice. I like the 3d effect.
July 20, 2019 10:54PM
I am happy with how my first try came out. This was different since it was in plastic and because I am going to light it from the back so I thought I would share. I am going to heat and bend this panel to become a cover on my dash.
July 21, 2019 12:03AM
Those look really good! What did you use for the red? What adhesive did you use?
July 21, 2019 10:46AM
I used a plasticweld epoxy. Now I am just waiting on the EL lighting sheet to light it up. I will post a pic when I get it.
August 08, 2019 06:15PM
I forgot to post the finished pics. Turned out really nice. I am really enjoying all the possibilities this tool has opened up in my car audio hobby.
[imgur.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.