Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

router died

Posted by cuervo 
router died
December 15, 2019 05:20PM
I was having some issues earlier where on 2 occasions it suddenly stopped in the middle of a program and my laptop acted like it lost communication for about 30 secs till a warning popped up "A very bad error has occurred". Both times I rebooted, reconnected, re-zero'd and then the 2nd time it would go through no problem.

After I ran the first two I started the 3rd and for some reason the router is not powering up. The lights on the bottom still light up so I am guessing that means it has power and I should take a look at the brushes? Are there any big box stores likely to carry these or do I need to order them?
Re: router died
December 18, 2019 09:29PM
so I ordered a new set of brushes(4) and then waited the 2 days to get them in. I just swapped them out and its little to no change. A couple of times when it first powered up it would spin for a split second but every other time I get lights and no action I guess I will try the other set of brushes just because but what else can I check? I took out my meter and checkec and I have 120v ac when its powered but I have not traced the power into the router yet to see where it stops there. Any help?
December 20, 2019 12:28AM
so I put the 2nd set in and got no change to it. I took the top back off and checked for continuity as far as I can trace the wires into the motor mechanism. Not sure what I did but it started working and I was able to finish the program off. Tonight I come back out and the machine has not moved short of zeroing it out but once I again I have the lights on on the bottom but no action. I have a background in electronics but not so much circuit board repair especially on a tool/machine I am not familiar with and have no instructions but at the point that I am already pissed off like hell at all this and looking at what a replacement costs I don't give a darn and am going to tear into it. If there are any other suggestions(lol) of things to check or stuff to do short of technical taps PLEASE I would love to hear it before I do just have to order a new one.

thanks
December 20, 2019 04:33AM
Lights coming on but no rotation isn’t something I’ve seen in one of these dewalt routers before. I’d be interested in getting this router back in the shop and tearing into it myself to learn about the failure mode. If you don’t mind, pm me your address and I’ll send out a new one with a return shipping label.
December 20, 2019 08:36PM
I went ahead and got a little deeper into the router. I pulled off the top circuit board assembly that I assume had the motor control inside as well as removed the brush assemblies on both sides. I just went over it all with a brush and a vacuum to clean all the dust off, cleaned the male spade connectors with a light sanding and then tightened the female connectors to ensure a tight fit and its was able to finish the night off. I really appreciate the offer to replace it and would obviously not turn that down but not sure if I did fix it or if just the removal/jostling around managed to temporarily fix it.
December 20, 2019 10:30PM
That’s the number one way I fix things—take them apart and put them back together—and suddenly they work!
December 20, 2019 10:45PM
I worked in electronics enough to know that technical taps are a real thing and very useful in diagnosing problems. It might have just been a dirty terminal but I will not be surprised if I go down and find it dead again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.