Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Leveraging the fact that this is cnc?

Posted by Mark Evans 
Leveraging the fact that this is cnc?
March 10, 2014 08:32PM
So I'm building a cute little stool for my wife modeled after one found curb side and I'm getting this thing down. No ruined parts, got the tiles thing going.

Now it occurs to me that I'm not using it to it's full potential as a good cnc project will tap together and glue.

So, my question is, is there a ShopBot or Vetric tutorial on the subject that I've missed or any of you have advice? Sure I can learn a lot from prior art but some general guidelines would be great....
Thanx
If you're talking about how to make more CNC friendly furniture, check out OpenDesk:

[www.opendesk.cc]

If you need a hand with their files, let me know.
Re: Leveraging the fact that this is cnc?
March 13, 2014 06:30PM
Funny, I was poking around there last night. Intresting stuff, good Google search and there is a lot of creative people out there.
But what I'm really looking for is general rules.

Is there a rule or guide for how long box joints should be?
What kind of clearance works best for tenon and pocket?
Etc.
Thanx
March 14, 2014 10:06AM
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately I don't know of any guidelines like that, but I wrote an article for the ShopBot blog a while back on "Making Stuff" that might help a little:

[www.shopbotblog.com]

As you know there are lots of cool examples online, so I think your best bet is to download ones that look interesting to you and see how they are done. I know that's not the answer you're looking..if you find something let us all know!

Bill
March 14, 2014 10:15PM
Bill,
No, that is not what I was looking for but it is still a great article full of other stuff I need to know.
As always if I find something online or discover something on my own I will post it.
I see what you're getting at Mark, it's hard to define rules for this sort of thing because everything you build is different.

I like the idea of doing stuff that would be impossible/too time consuming to do by hand.

Maybe this will inspire you:

[makezine.com]

As far as rules in terms of clearances and things like that, it never hurts to do some test cuts and see what's what. That CNC toolbox I posted a few weeks ago worked fine, but I had to beat it a lot with a hammer to get it to assemble. The next time I cut it, I am going to widen the slots just a little so that it fits together more easily. That sort of stuff you just learn as you go along.

Another thing I learned the other day is about bit deflection... I was trying to cut another Wikihouse test joint... The first one I cut I did really slow and the joint worked great. I decided to increase the speed a lot, and while it cut just fine, because I was going so fast I got some deflection and all of my joints were too loose.

You'll learn things with experience...
March 23, 2014 10:58AM
Got these numbers from Randy, chief of education for ShopBot yesterday.
Good starting point for most materials is_.010-020",and you can try_.005" for some plastics and hard woods. Sure it is a window but so much better than just guessing.
Excellent! That's great knowledge to have.

Check out my other post on the digital wood joints. Do you wan to have a go Mark?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.