Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

tiling question

Posted by Dennis 
tiling question
March 16, 2014 12:38PM
HI, looking to do a type of reverse tiling.

Scenario: I have an 18 x 18 inch design that I've tiled into 9 tiles of 6x6 each.
Would like to use the handibot to cut those as individual tiles with each placed at 0,0 for cutting

Practical application: It is a type of labyrinth that has easily been done on a regular shopbot, but want to extend the creativity of it by using diffferent types of material for each tile and reassemble them into a completed piece

I've tried resetting the axis in the shopbot setup and that does not seem to work

Any suggestions are appeciated.

thanks

Dennis
Re: tiling question
March 16, 2014 10:06PM
Sorry,
maybe I need pictures, I get you have a file that forms a 3x3 grid of tiles but then you lose me. what are you trying to do and what is not happening?
March 17, 2014 07:48AM
Thanks mark. The file is a design that is 18x18. The design is then set as a tiled file with 6x6 tiles and saved in tile format. I could use a jig at that point and cut the 18x18 design out of one piece of material. I don't want to do that, but want to cut each tile individually, so 9 tiles, each 6x6

I want to cut each tile by setting the 6x6 tile individually at the 0,0 position and cut it using the tiled cut file. So T1' cut using the T1 file, etc through all the individual tiled files, replacing the material each time with a new 6x6 block placed at 0,0. Because I'm using tiled files, the machine thinks T2 is to start at 6,0 as an origin.

After I cut each piece, usually out of different wood types and grains to add artistic interest, I can assemble the 9 pieces in a frame and have the completed design cut

Hope that helps and thank you for your suggestions

Dennis
March 17, 2014 06:40PM
"Because I'm using tiled files, the machine thinks T2 is to start at 6,0 as an origin."

That's not quite right. The machine isn't expecting to be offset.

The machine always has an origin of 0,0. And so do the tiled files. Unless I am missing something you can think of tiling as either a way to makes workpieces bigger than the machine area or else make tiles to be assembled into a larger work piece. Which sounds like what you are doing. You can either move the machine during routing or move the tiles after routing but the results are equivalent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 06:44PM by 0,0.
March 17, 2014 08:02PM
Dennis,
Pretty much 0,0 said, vetric thinks of it the way you are doing but matters not, move the machine or move /replace materials, T2 will cut what you see in the T2 tile when you have the tile tool up.
6*6 works great for cutting stuff out but you might want to experiment with 5*5 and some overlap then bandsaw to size depending on the complexity of the design. This would also make jigging easier.
This is all new to me but let me tell you, things make sense quickly when you get out and cut and make mistakes.
March 18, 2014 07:46AM
good point. Let me try it that way. thanks for the suggestions
March 18, 2014 09:11AM
Mark is spot on, each tile is basically a fresh file, starting at X0,Y0, so regardless of whether or not you're indexing the machine, or moving the material, you will be fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.