Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Handibots with frickin lasers attached

Posted by Eric Schimelpfenig 
Oh yes, you read that right, I strapped lasers to my Handibot:

I wanted a way that I could have a clear indication where the tool was going to drop into the material. I pulled this off by first ordering these 5 volt laser emitters from eBay that beam out a straight laser line:

Then I used my Makerbot to print out a ring to mount them in. I also soldered the wire to a USB plug. Since these run off of 5volts, USB power works perfectly.

Lastly, I mounted the ring just under the metal router clamp on the Handibot. I even screwed it together using the same method as the router mount:

The lines the lasers emit are about 1/32" or larger. It's not surgically accurate, but for me it's way better than dropping a 1/4" tool down to try and find center. Also, just not having to dive the tool into, or near material to see where it's going to start is great. I think this is going to be really useful for getting a good starting out point for cuts, unfortunately I don't think it's .0004" accurate so that you could use it to restart a failed cut if you lost 0.

Lastly, anything that shoots lasers is pretty badass.

The entire gallery is here:

[plus.google.com]
Re: Handibots with frickin lasers attached
March 27, 2014 08:33PM
Shut up and take my money!
seriously, PM me, I'll buy anything from the ring with a resource list to a ready to install unit.

I had a similar idea of mounting them to the sides to mark 0,0 like yours much better as this will be more versatile...
I'd be willing to make you one, but sit tight for a bit. I haven't tested it while cutting just yet. One thing that is apparent, I've limited the cutting depth a little because those brass lasers are hanging down. I think I have a solution for that.

Now, you could actually make this entire thing on the Handibot out of plywood. The laser diameter is 9mm. These are the ones I got:

[www.ebay.com]

The Sketchup model is here. While it's designed with 3D printing in mind, you could easily tweak it a little to make it out of ply:

[3dwarehouse.sketchup.com]

So, when I redesign it, I would be happy to make you one. I think it would be even cooler if you (as in anyone) could make this part out of ply right on your bot.
March 28, 2014 12:43PM
OKAY,
the frickin lasers are on the way. With 10 of them I may well do it your way AND my way. That way I could see real quickly if I have lost my zero whenever it is parked at 0,0.

It is great to have such a geek as you on board! >grinning smiley<
Cool! I might try and make one out of wood. I've already iterated on my design a few times since I posted that one, nothing major, just trying to tuck the lasers up higher. I think wood is better because everyone will be able to make one, just just super nerds who happen to have a Makerbot too.

Be warned, if you use pliers to rotate these things in whatever hole you try and jam them into, they are sensitive to being squished. I already knocked one out that way, even though I was being gentle. Luckily there is a slot on the face you can use a stubby screwdriver to rotate them with.

Also, the more I play with these, the more I realize I wish that the beams were thinner. Don't get me wrong, these are great, but you just have to understand what they're for: A reasonable estimation of where the tool is going to land in about a 1/32" to 1/16" area. If you're machining really tiny delicate things I don't think this is going to be what you want, but if you're using the Handibot for makeing outlet holes, plywood slots, drill pressing, or anything that doesn't need any more accuracy than a pencil mark, this will work great.
March 28, 2014 05:45PM
There is a guy in China trying to figure out why he is suddenly selling so many freaking lasers this week!
March 28, 2014 07:31PM
After I saw your laser rig I tried to search for some specs on the line lasers and it looks like a line width of about 2mm is the best I could find for a reasonably low cost.

I was trying to think of a way to do the laser guide also. I don't happen to have the 3D printer, yet.

Sparkfun also has some similar lasers but they cost $8.95 ea. if I remember correctly.
Someone out there must have a thinner laser beam, but it's probably costly. The way I figure it, for the cost, if you need to be more accurate than just having a 2mm idea of where the tool is going to land, depending on a laser that can get knocked out of calibration is probably not a good idea. For stuff like that a well made jig I think is the way to go.

Let's say you had a very specific shape that you need to place PERFECTLY. I think the best way to do that would be to put a solid piece of wood bolted to the Handibot, mill the shape once with the tool, and then use the resulting opening as your guide. Now you have something that is 100% accurate for placement.

For everything else, like "Drill pressing" odd holes, and other general construction I think the 2mm laser is just fine.

What do you all think? Am I on base here?
March 29, 2014 11:42AM
Would a 3D printed small cover with a slit for the lasers mentioned here work?
March 29, 2014 04:07PM
Eric, I think you are dead on. I think of the things I plan to build and the work flow that makes the most since to me for about 70% of the projects it to just cut the sheet to size with a table or panel saw, measure and mark where I'll need the cut for the hardware, and then drop the hanibot over the pencil marks and push cut. Move to the next place needing a cut, load the file for that and cut again. And repeat as necessary.

As much as I respect the ability to index/tile all over a sheet the above looks like a better workflow for most things with the handi for most projects.

My little alignment jigs work and where a good idea if I do say so myself but these frickin lasers will make that so easy!

Eric Schimelpfenig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone out there must have a thinner laser beam,
> but it's probably costly. The way I figure it, for
> the cost, if you need to be more accurate than
> just having a 2mm idea of where the tool is going
> to land, depending on a laser that can get knocked
> out of calibration is probably not a good idea.
> For stuff like that a well made jig I think is the
> way to go.
>
> Let's say you had a very specific shape that you
> need to place PERFECTLY. I think the best way to
> do that would be to put a solid piece of wood
> bolted to the Handibot, mill the shape once with
> the tool, and then use the resulting opening as
> your guide. Now you have something that is 100%
> accurate for placement.
>
> For everything else, like "Drill pressing" odd
> holes, and other general construction I think the
> 2mm laser is just fine.
>
> What do you all think? Am I on base here?
Cool, that's what I thought this would be good for. You're right, I don't think you'd want to use this machine to cut out large panels, as a panel or table saw would almost certainly be faster (Unless you had a full size ShopBot) (That's also going under the assumption that you're only cutting out big rectangles)

This laser could be great for stuff like cutting door knob holes, or hardware pockets in doors... Or again anything that only requires the accuracy of a pencil.

The other thing that I've found this to be incredibly useful about this is to make sure I am on the right angle... So let's say I had a square slot that I needed to cut out in the middle of a panel. I would mark either it's center or a meaningful corner. Then I could use a big T square or framing square to make a straight line along that mark.

Without the laser I'd have to drop the tool on the work, then jog it around to to see if the slot would be straight. With the laser all I need to do is get the laser cross on the mark, and then make sure my laser line follows that pencil line. Instant verification that I am heading in a straight line.

When I get some time this week i am going to remake my mount once more. I am trying to figure out a way that I can put some set screws in to hold the lasers. Right now they are friction fit and it's a real pain to get them in and out....
March 30, 2014 12:07PM
If you can't get set screws to work I'd secure them with Sugru after aliment is complete, that will hold tight but can be cut free if you burn one out or have to re zero.
April 07, 2014 12:55AM
Okay, got my lasers and wired up two of them into a usb harness. Really looking forward to having frickn lasers in the bot.

I'm with you in that I am just a little disappointed in how thick the line is but still think it will be a great help.
Are you going to try and make a ring out of wood? I think it's totally doable. I haven't tried yet. I'm traveling right now, but when I get back home in a few weeks I'll take a crack it it.
April 07, 2014 02:56AM
I don't know Eric, I am not much of a pioneer.

Well OK, like jigs, I may work on it out of impatience, Who knows, might get something going.

Good to know there is a fall back plan if I don't have any luck...
April 08, 2014 02:56PM
If you get more than two lasers anyway, could you place four lasers on the collar so that they form two parallel lines on each axis? Then you could offset them, say, a16th so that the space between the double crossed lines is the bit position.

Not quite sure what this buys you except maybe a smidge more precision.
April 09, 2014 02:46AM
O,O
looking at them, I think your idea would work but only with a "gun sight" adjustable mount. looking at the laser lines it looks to me that the most reasonable is to simply split the difference on a pencil line.
April 28, 2014 08:38PM
I've attached mine with Sugru. Afraid this kluge will work just well enough to discourage me from continuing to try to find the perfect way to attach them.

These are awesome and ShopBot really needs to incorporate them in the next generation!
I have that plastic ring nearly perfected on my Makerbot. Is anyone interested in buying one? I could figure out a price...
Well you know I'm in.

Others here, let me tell you, it would be well worth it to do this little mod.
I would like one. How do you want to be paid?

Tim Flugum
13021 Fairfield Rd
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Hey guys, I would be happy to figure out what these rings cost, print them up and send them to you.

However, in the spirit of the Handibot, I think we should figure out a way to make these WITH the Handibot.

I have put all of my files I used to make this on GitHub for you all to check out.

If you take a look, my ring is 3/4" think. Save for the part where the ring splits, you could cut this easily on a Handibot with a 1/4" bit. If you had a 1/8" bit you could even cut the split.

The holes for the pinch bolt could easily be hand drilled.

Honestly, I think this might be better out of wood anyway. I really had to jam those brass lasers in there, and if it were wood, it would have been more forgiving.

Let me know what you all think... I'm open to making them for you, but I think this is worth a shot...

Here is the GitHub link:

[github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 10:22PM by Eric Schimelpfenig.
I'll give it a try, I had tried to do something from your original .skp file and had no luck. With the additional files/info I think we can do something. definitely worth playing with...

Eric Schimelpfenig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys, I would be happy to figure out what
> these rings cost, print them up and send them to
> you.
>
> However, in the spirit of the Handibot, I think we
> should figure out a way to make these WITH the
> Handibot.
>
> I have put all of my files I used to make this on
> GitHub for you all to check out.
>
> If you take a look, my ring is 3/4" think. Save
> for the part where the ring splits, you could cut
> this easily on a Handibot with a 1/4" bit. If you
> had a 1/8" bit you could even cut the split.
>
> The holes for the pinch bolt could easily be hand
> drilled.
>
> Honestly, I think this might be better out of wood
> anyway. I really had to jam those brass lasers in
> there, and if it were wood, it would have been
> more forgiving.
>
> Let me know what you all think... I'm open to
> making them for you, but I think this is worth a
> shot...
>
> Here is the GitHub link:
>
> [github.com]
> tree/master
Since I posed that original Sketchup file, VCarve now has Sketchup import...

So, to cut this, you could just open the VCarve file I have in there already. Or you could start a new VCarve file and import the Sketchup file that is in there.

Also, if you click on the STL file that is in there you can view it in GitHub so you can get an idea where I drilled the holes. The trick for the lasers is that they need to be exactly 90 degrees apart from there. Since the laser holes are larger than 1/4" the Handibot can make them with the 1/4" bit.

You'll see on mine I've got that little raised ring.. That was just to allow the wires to pass by easier. You could probably mill that in, or just leave it out and have longer wires that you could run a different way than I did.
Alright everyone... I grabbed a piece of 1/2" scrap from my garage and ran the VCarve file I posted above and I got this:

The lasers fit very snugly, just like they did in my 3D printed one. I rolled up some sandpaper and opened the holes just enough to push the lasers through, and I hand drilled the bolt hole. To cut open the slot, I just carefully set the ring down on my chop saw.

This tool all of about 15 minutes to make start to finish. If someone really wants a MakerBot'd one, I can send you one, but this seems to work very well and is super fast.

For those of you that want experiment and strap even more lasers on, here's your change to rapidly iterate!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.