Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Postprocesser for Cut3D

Posted by tonyv 
Postprocesser for Cut3D
March 28, 2014 05:19PM
Hi,

I was an original kickstarter purchaser of the Handibot. It just came with VCarve Pro for the Shopbot.

Corrrect me if I am wrong, but i seems that new Handibot purchasers are also getting something called Partworks3D, which is essentially the same as Cut3D?

Does that mean that there is now an official postprocessor for Cut3D that supports the Handibot?

I would really like to get a copy of it, if so. I already own Cut3D.

Thanks,
tonyv

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2014 11:21AM by tonyv.
Re: Postprocesser for Cut3D
March 28, 2014 06:54PM
Vcarve pro and parts works are the same program. Vetric used to prefer ShopBot to have a separate name then they reversed that policy.

As to the post processer for cut3d, I would think so as they support ShopBot but I can't say definitely. I'd ask vetric.
March 29, 2014 08:15AM
The ShopBot control software can take in regular GCode too, so you should be able to use Cut3D. But if you now have VCarve Pro, I don't see any reason that you'd need to use Cut3D anymore, unless I am missing something...

I had Cut2D back in the day, and now that I have VCarve I haven't touched it...
March 29, 2014 09:28AM
I thought it was PartWorks3D that was the equivalent to Cut3D.

As I understand it, VCarve Pro is the same as Partworks that ShopBot used to offer.
March 29, 2014 10:38AM
Go on Vetric's site to get this sorted out in your head, Cut3D is a basic "translation" program that takes 3D cad files and produces cut files.

Vcarve Pro is a full 2.5D cad/cam program with full editing. In other words with Vcarve you can start from scratch, with Cut3D you have to start with a CAD file and it just produces the paths.

Then there is Aspire! Vcarve Pro on steroids! All the tools of Vcarve plus it is full 3D. Would love to have it but gonna have to be needing it quite badly as $$$$$$$$.
March 29, 2014 10:54AM
Cut3D and VCarve-Pro are completely different programs for completely different purposes - I own both.

Cut3D lets you create up to 4 sides of a 3D part. It is more suitable for engineers than VCarve-Pro, which seems aimed at sign-makers. I prefer to use a real CAD system to design my parts, rather than use the crude editing features built into the Vectric products.

Tonyv

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2014 11:30AM by tonyv.
March 29, 2014 11:20AM
Thanks for clarifying -- I meant to say Partworks3D.

Tonyv
March 31, 2014 07:16AM
Tony...the .sbp files for a handibot are exactly the same as for any ShopBot. So, use the ShopBot post processor for Cut3D and you will be fine.

The nominal cutting area for the handibot is 6" x 8"...and you don't have much leeway beyond that. To be sure that you are not creating an .sbp file that will bump into the sides of your cutting area, check out the maximum travel, then do a CR (bit above the material) to make sure that cutting out your part will fit within the travel of the handibot. For example, if you were cutting out a part that was drawn to 6" x 8", and using a .25" bit, your travel to do the profile to the outside would actually be 6.25" x 8.25". So do a CR of 6.25 by 8.25 and listen for the noise that indicates you have run into the side.

If you only hear it in one axis, try the CR again. Your handibot may have found the home position it needs to be in to run that larger file.

'Hope that helps.
March 31, 2014 10:48PM
Cut3d doesn't seem to come with a postprocesser for the Shopbot that turns on the router spindle. I hacked some up from the posts that came with VCarve Pro for the Shopbot that SEEM to work, but I haven't tried a 3-D part yet. I am still trying to get an official postprocesser for the Cut3D (or PartMaster3D) that supports the Handibot.

Wierd -- I seem to remember saying all this on this forum once before, but can no longer find that message...Maybe it was on the Kickstarter forum?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 10:52PM by tonyv.
April 01, 2014 10:07AM
Hi Tony,

What post processor are you using in Partworks 3d? You don't need a specific postprocessor for your Handibot...I'm running version 1.002 and the default post is the "ShopBot TC(inch)" post which includes the "C6" command at the start that calls the custom cut that starts the spindle.

If that's the post processor you're using, then one thing to make sure of is that the tool number for any of the bits you'll be using is #19 or less. You'll find that in the tool database, toward the bottom, and it's what the ShopBot software uses to decide what output switch to turn on.

Tool numbers 1-19 send a "SO,1,1" command that turns on spindle #1, the one you need. Tools number 20-29 are for accessory air drills and turn on Output #2, and so on. You can find information on all this in the SbParts folder at "C:\SbParts\Custom\MTC\MTC.sbp"

Does this work?

Bill
April 09, 2014 05:02PM
And, if needed backup copies of the posts for PW3D-Cut3D are in >> C:\SbParts\PartWorksPosts\Archival ... You would want to copy the two "ShopBot TC" posts into the PW3D or Cut3D PostP folder (location depends on whether you have the ShopBot- or Vectric-named version).

A work-around for a file that does not have a Router-On command in it is to turn on Output 1 before you run the file (just click the icon). The router will then turn on, with a warning, when the file starts. Or, edit in an "SO, 1,1" command before the moves in the file.

Ted Hall, ShopBot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.