Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Developer Questions

Posted by gclayton 
Developer Questions
April 03, 2014 04:02PM
I have been going through the current software options to learn how I may develop my own front end control application instead of using the current Sb3.exe windows and forms.

One of the things that I don't like about the current software is that the red dialog window is not resizable and I would like to be able to move this anywhere on the screen and make the buttons larger or maybe incorporate it's functions into another area of the UI. The size of this window makes it very difficult to use on tablets.

I'm currently using Qt and Qml to create my UI.

I figured out how to send commands to the HandiBot using the registry values documented in the Programmer Handbook. However. the section that describes the registry values fails to explain exactly where in the registry these values need to be set. The registry key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VBA and VBA Program Settings\ShopBot. Why these are under the "VBA..." section, I don't understand. It seems that there would be a HandiBot or ShopBot section right under the Software registry section.

I also found that the Sb3.exe application needs to be running prior to issuing these commands.

Another issue that I noticed is that when a part file is being cut, the cursor is constantly reset to be in the area of the STOP button in the red dialog window. This prohibits anything else being selected while the file is being run. I know, you shouldn't be doing anything else while the part is being cut, but with the speed of computers today it is possible to multi-task. I'm just talking about being able to select other options for display purposes in my current app. The Red dialog window process should not keep me from doing other things!

There should be options to override the automatic display of the sb3.exe windows and forms in order for the developer to be able to provide his own UI without the additional clutter of the existing windows and forms.

Will the new developer framework provide more control for how the UI can be constructed? Any update on when the new framework will be available?

When the STOP button is activated on the red dialog window, exactly what commands are being issued?
Re: Developer Questions
April 09, 2014 04:40PM
Hi Gil,

I've probably answered some of these questions in the thread just before this one.

For many of the reasons you've pointed out, we have been very excited about moving forward with an alternative to the Sb3.exe system. It is becoming dated and very constrained by the limitations of Windows styles and VB. (It is also the case, that early out, because of safety concerns for classrooms and work places, it was decided that when a computer was running a tool, the controls should always be available with the cursor locked on the stop button and with a recognized display. Much of what you are noting is a result of those safety considerations.)

The new system will be more to your liking as you will have full control of developing the UI. What remains the same is that for most functionality, your app/UI will pass a file with a toolpath to the Handibot or other CNC tool (along with handling a few other housekeeping functions through an API). Thus, at this point, your focus should be on the UI and creating the toolpath file. I realize that not being able to control the look and feel while the tool is cutting something may be distracting. But you will soon be in full control.

Coming next will be a description of how we conceptualize Handibot App Development: How the G2 system will work; What the various ways of getting to the tool will be (e.g. USB & wireless); What the API will look like; And how best to simulate things for the moment, along with some samples.

Ted Hall, ShopBot
May 14, 2014 12:35PM
Any update on the new API?
June 10, 2014 02:59PM
Can we expect the new API anytime soon?

IMO ShopBot seems to be moving at a snail's pace getting resources out to Handibot owners. In particular to those of us who purchased the 'Developers Edition' and expected to have the Developer resources to go along with that purchase.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.