Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Handibot modifications

Posted by 648 
Handibot modifications
April 19, 2014 06:15PM
I bought my Handibot for a specific application. I need a cut area of about 12" x 24". I do not want to have to move the machine to different panes. I would like to modify the Handibot to cover the area needed. Where can I purchase longer lead screws and rails?
Re: Handibot modifications
April 19, 2014 08:19PM
Comments removed by poster.
April 20, 2014 02:38AM
In theory this might be possible. In practice, well, let's just say a lot could go wrong. The first problem is that longer rails of the same sectional dimension will sag more over the longer unsupported spans. Or not be damped enough. Or else the motors would prove painfully slow in the larger work area. CNC machines are all trade-offs between various design goals and price, the HandiBot included.
April 20, 2014 12:23PM
I don't understand your statement about unsupported longer rails. The rails are attached every few inches and continuously supported. Are you referring to the lead screws being unsupported?

The jog speed of the Handibot if perfectly adequate for a somewhat larger cutting area.
April 21, 2014 12:28AM
Hi 648,

The primary issue with extending the travel area is the Y axis off-center drive. Where the layout of the X axis allows for longer travel in principle, the off-center Y axis drive has limits beyond which racking becomes a concern. Further, to accomodate longer rails and lead screws a modified exoframe would need to be designed.

We think the best approach is indexing at the moment. We've talked about eventually offering a larger Handibot if enough demand is there.

David
April 21, 2014 11:03AM
I consider this a prototype for a larger Handibot. The bulk and weight of the larger capacity will make this less "Handi" however.

The racking problem in the Y axis does seem to be a problem. Another motor would have to be added to the other side. I understand the control board can take a fourth drive. Can software parallel the two Y drives or would the step and direction have to be hardwired on the control board? Seems like hard wire is the way to go since that is the way my PRT is configured and would guarantee the drives are synchronized.

The original post was looking for suppliers.
April 24, 2014 11:11AM
To 648

Just a quick additional comment. You can define the extra axis (channel 5) to work exactly like the Y in the software. I don't think there would be any issues with that. (With a little soldering, you could also hardwire it to the number 2 channel ... which would make it identical ... but not really necessary.) If there is enough interest in it for accessories, we will bring out all 6 channels in a header on future boards.

Ted Hall, ShopBot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.