Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Materials that can be milled with the Handibot

Posted by CARLOSRODASH 
Hello, my name is Carlos. I hail form Guatemala. I am looking into buying a Handibot to fabricate product displays for stores, now that a large format jig is on the way I think size wont be a problem, but I'mm curious if there is a list of materials taht the handibot can work on, we work with everything from melamine board, to polycarbonate and metal. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this.
I can't provide a complete list but with the right bits and feeds you can do most anything except hard metal.
Wood, sheet goods, plastic, aluminum...
Ok, so I guess I just need to find the correct bit then. and noob quiestion here but what is a feed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 03:26PM by CARLOSRODASH.
No problem with noob questions, all of this is new to me in the last year as well!

Besides the design of the bit there is the speed of the router, in RPM and the feed, which is how fast the bit is pushed through the material. In Vcarve Pro it is in IPS or inches per second if you are using inches or several metric ways to measure like mm/s.

If you will do a search of this site and the main ShopBot forum you will find lots of info.
Hi Carlos,

Just as an FYI, currently with a manual indexing jig a Handibot has the ability to cut full sheets of plywood, but it's slow and labor-intensive and really only intended as an occasional capability and not as a full-sheet production tool. I think you would be dis-appointed if you bought one to do full-sheet processing with any regularity.

In the future we're hoping that creative folks will come up with accessories and techniques to automate the cutting of full sheets to make it more efficient, but in my opinion it's not currently practical as a full-sheet production method.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.