Go Back to handibot.com

Advanced

Milling .250 and .50 6061 Aluminum?

Posted by RobertBasil 
Milling .250 and .50 6061 Aluminum?
June 16, 2014 02:19PM
I've searched around the shopbot tools forum and found a lot of info, but don't know how well that advice would transfer over to the smaller HandiBot. Anyone spend time working .250 and .5 6061 aluminum on a regular basis with a handibot?

I currently have access to and use a waterjet, but it's expensive to use hense my wanting to purchase and use a Handibot for my projects. I am looking at milling small items (keychains) so I would like to be able to use the smallest diameter bit possible.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2014 02:21PM by RobertBasil.
Re: Milling .250 and .50 6061 Aluminum?
June 16, 2014 05:51PM
I have yet to cut any aluminum but I can tell you that about 90% of what is discussed on the ShopBot forum translates to the handibot. Feeds and speeds are the same no matter what the platform is.
There is a 1/8 single flute that has the 1/4 shank, if you want to go really small you'll need a after market collet.
You need to get one and become an expert at aluminum so I'll have a go to guy for this :-)
Mark Evans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have yet to cut any aluminum but I can tell you that about 90% of what is discussed on the ShopBot forum translates to the handibot. Feeds and speeds are the same no matter what the platform is. There is a 1/8 single flute that has the 1/4 shank, if you want to go really small you'll need a after market collet.

Thanks for the info.

Mark Evans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need to get one and become an expert at aluminum so I'll have a go to guy for this :-)

You got it, I'll do my best. smiling smiley
Re: Milling .250 and .50 6061 Aluminum?
June 18, 2014 08:26AM
Robert - David and others gave some feedback on cutting AL in a previous thread, you can find it here.

RMW
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.